macProVideo.com
Forums
  • macnando
    LogicPro 8 versus PorTools 8
    Hi Martin and MacProvideo team, Now the market fight is very clear. After watching ProTools 8 First Look, I could see that LogicPro became the DAW to beat. Impressive how many features in Ptools 8 work exactly like LogicPro 8. I couldn't see any reason to change from Logic, except for the fact that, besides the new scoring capabilities in Ptools 8, scores can be transfered to Sibelius for further edition. Well, this is a plus for Protools 8 and what a humble brazilian musician could advice Apple is: or you buy MakeMusic or you make an agreement with them and make Logic scores exportable to Finale 2009! Tell me Martin, am I crazy or this would be the way for LogicPro keep up with Ptools 8? All the best and thanks to make this first look avaiable! macnando PS. Just yo make thing clear, Sibelius belongs to Avid, that owns also Digidesign and ProTools!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: LogicPro 8 versus PorTools 8
    Hi Macnando, Having not used PT extensively and being an Apple Logic Trainer I'm a little biased towards Logic ;-) I agree, that PT and Cubase and Logic, on the face of it, look more similar in terms of their feature sets that ever before. It would be great for Logic to be able to export to Finale, and also incorporate an audio warp style feature. All in all, I love Logic and I'm to stick with it - although I'm very interested in the new Abelton Live integration with Max/Msp. What I find encouraging is how each DAW shifts the bar and the others respond. Competition really drives changes and generally makes our music creation software more impressive and better. I'm looking forward to the next iteration of Logic. I think it will have something to do with Snow Leopard... and I have a feeling it will be worth the wait too. If you want to give some suggestions or feedback to the Logic developers you can use the following link: [url]http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • macnando
    Thanks for your reply, Rounik. I also don't intend to change but I would love to see in Logic this possibility, importing and exporting scores to Finale and (why not?) Sibelius. This would be a good answer from Apple. BTW I took your advice and put my suggestion in this link you provided. Greetings, Macnando
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Macnando, [quote:2985]importing and exporting scores to Finale and (why not?) Sibelius. [/quote] I think Digidesign might have something to say about giving Logic and Sibelius seamless compatibility! Can't imagine they would allow their main competitor to have the same new features that they've just implemented in ProTools 8... :-) Cheers Rounik
  • macnando
    You are right, Rounik... I think Apple could do in the same way they allow all kind of audio interfaces to work with LogicPro. Even Digidesign interfaces work very well. So, why not to import and export scores to all kind of music notation softwares? And to think about Apple buying MakeMusic (Finale maker) is not such a crazy or impossible idea. Well, I know, world financial crisis, Mr. Jobs is kind of retired to care about his health but I remember that Logic Audio was a software from a small german softwarehouse called Emagic and we know what happened. Anyway, thanks for your reply. All the best, Macnando
  • Rounik Admin
    Very interesting Macnando, [quote:2985]You are right, Rounik... I think Apple could do in the same way they allow all kind of audio interfaces to work with LogicPro. Even Digidesign interfaces work very well. So, why not to import and export scores to all kind of music notation softwares?[/quote] I don't think this would happen because Digidesign is owned by or owns Sibelius. For Logic to have seamless integration, it would need to approved by Digidesign. I doubt they would even consider that. There is no motivation for them to give Logic a helping hand. Audio interfaces are a different thing. It's in Digidesigns interests to have their interfaces supported by Logic and conform to a standard - allows users of Logic to consider and use Pro Tools. Also vice versa IMHO. However, there are some pro's that disagree and feel that digidesign hardware is not very stable with Logic - perhaps the drivers are not as well written as they could be? But, of course, it could be more to do with those people's setups. I've not had any experience so I can't say one way or the other. Cheers Rounik
  • macnando
    Once again, you are right, Rounik... As you probably know, Finale and Sibelius are the top of the list when talking about music notation softwares. Even between them, it is possible to exchange scores through musicxml files and the result is quite good. LogicPro only allows you to export scores as PDF files, which doesn't make it simple to use in Sibelius or Finale. One can use scanning resources that both softwares provide but it's not that piece of cake. Who knows, maybe one day... Thanks again, Macnando
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Macnando, Yes, you're right. Would be great if Logic could export the score to XML! I know a few of my clients (finale users) would love that. Would be a great suggestion to send to the Logic dev team. Think I'll do that now :-) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: