macProVideo.com
Forums
  • george napier
    Stylus RMX and the monitor object in Logic
    Hi Steve, Really enjoying your videos... In the October TNT you walked thru setting up transformers for various softsynths. I followed everything and the methods and macros work like a charm. However, when I attach a monitor object to a softsynth instrument channel strip, I cannot get any data to show up when I move a slider on the softsynth. However, if I move a slider on the instrument channel strip or the multi-instrument faders/pan control using the mixer, that data shows up fine in the monitor object. Similarly, if on the arrange page I show automation for channel 1 of an RMX and choose to show 'Pt1Level' in the automation lane then move the channel 1 level slider on the RMX, I can see and record the data in the arrange page. But the monitor object shows nothing in its window when I move the RMX slider. Again, the macros I built from your tutorials work great, I just can't see the softsynths' data in the monitor object. Would really like to figure this out since being able to see the data in the monitor object will make designing transformers a lot easier. Since this seems to happen with all of my VIs I'm figuring maybe there is some global preference I'm not setting correctly...? Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any assist. George
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Stylus RMX and the monitor object in Logic
    Hi George, Thought I'd jump in here about the issue you describe. I've had this exact same issue in the past. I think it is/was a bug or project specific at the very least. Just to check you are connecting the channel strip to -> the Monitor? Sounds like you are, but best to check... Can you replicate this issue in a blank template? What version of Logic and OSX are you running? & (finally ;) is the project you are working in originally a Logic 7 project / template. Cheers Rounik
  • george napier
    Hi Rounik! Answers to your questions below: 1. Yep. I'm sure I am connecting it correctly. 2. When I create a blank template and try it: NO PROBLEM! :-) 3. I'm running L8.02 and MacOSX 10.5.6 4. This started as a blank template originally. Is there anyway to save this template? I fear that the answer is going to be "no" and I fear that because this is an autoload template that I have been putting together over the last few weeks based on my needs and cool stuff from Steve's videos (the two often coincide). So I've got multiple environment layers dedicated to my various multi instruments, layered instruments, etc., all ready to use. I guess the best way to go is to create a blank template then copy and paste a layer from the current autoload environment into the new blank template's environment, test, and repeat until I find a problem? Thanks. GN
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi GN, It sounds identical to the issue I experienced a few months back... A few things before we go into transferring layers (which incidentally can be a painless process), have you tried simple things like restarting your Mac and re-opening the project? Yes, you can save templates (and should do so) File > Save as template... ------- You don't have to copy and paste in the traditional sense to a blank project. First make sure the original project has the elements on different layers. Create a new layer in the Environment if you need to and copy/move the objects to that layer. 1. File > New... (select a blank template) 2. Create the audio and SI tracks as desired. 3. Open the Environment. 4. Select Options>Import Environment>Layer 5. Navigate to where your project is. If it already a template you've created, you'll find it here: Users/Username/Library/Application Support / Logic/Project Templates/ -------- If some things don't work then you can try having both projects open simultaneously and copying and pasting groups of objects from one to the other. Let me know how you get on. Cheers Rounik
  • george napier
    Hi. Just wanted to let you know that closing everything out and re-booting the mac worked like a charm. Everything worked as expected after I did that. That tip has come in handy a couple of times since then actually. Seems like if I leave a project in Logic idling overnight, something weird happens to the MIDI engine. Certain things -- not everything -- just stop responding...re-booting cures it. Thanks loads for all of your help...and the new tip. George
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi George, Thanks for letting us know :) I wouldn't recommend leaving a Logic project open over night, unless you put your Mac to sleep... From what I remember Mac OS does some self-maintenance work, if the Mac is left on, at about 4am I believe... Anyway, here's my favourite tip for making sure your Mac continues to run smoothly: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] Best Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: