macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tetusui
    External gears and midiclock sync
    Greetings Logic Masters! I have a bunch of external gears that I use in my Logic setup. Recently I bought a MAM1 arppegiator and wanted to hock it up to record its output into Logic. I managed to get it to sync (after a while) but having trouble to control/record while in sync. I get double notes and it all ends up with an extremely large amount of notes going into Logic :) My understanding is that Logic doesn't sync to Midi clock anymore so in my case it has to be the master otherwise it might solve my problem if the MAM1 could be master clock . Im planning to get some other gear like a "anlog type" of sequencer and I guess I´ll run into the same problem. So now the short version :) How do "You" hook up and sync with external gears wich needs to read/send and sync to midi in Logic and contol all cool softsynths? Thanks in advance! //JOJA
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: External gears and midiclock sync
    Hi joja! Can you explain what you have done already: - how have you physically connected everything and from and to what? - Have you setup your External MIDI devices in the OSX's Audio MIDI Setup? - Also, just to check which version of Logic are you running? Cheers Rounik
  • Christian L
    [quote:24054] My understanding is that Logic doesn't sync to Midi clock anymore [/quote] That's right. Unfortunately, Logic 8 can't receive MIDI Clock synchronization signals. Logic will need to be the Master for synchronization to work. It used to work with Logic 7 but Apple removed this feature for some reasons. Christian
  • Tetusui
    [quote:7638]Hi joja! Can you explain what you have done already: - how have you physically connected everything and from and to what? - Have you setup your External MIDI devices in the OSX's Audio MIDI Setup? - Also, just to check which version of Logic are you running? Cheers Rounik[/quote] Hi Rounik! I run Logic 8 (with latest update). All midi interface are setup in "Audio Mide Setup". But I havent connected any "cables" between them. In the environment I have made an midi-instrument pointing at my MAM1 arppegiator. MAM1 is connected to my AMT8 midinterface and the AMT8 is also setup to receive the midi clock from Logic (this works fine btw). In the environment I hook one of my controllers directly to the new midi instrument I made for MAM1. I then record enable the midi track and say one more with a soft synth. Press play and start playing. But after a while i get double notes and other strange effects. I guess it could be related to being in cycle mode? It does feel a bit uncertain all in all :) And why cant Logic send out a midi clock start/stop in the middle of an arrangement? It only works if I start the the track from beginning or Im doing something wrong. Its quite hard to explain all this :) Hope at least some of this make sense. //Joja
  • Tetusui
    [quote:1687][quote:24054] My understanding is that Logic doesn't sync to Midi clock anymore [/quote] That's right. Unfortunately, Logic 8 can't receive MIDI Clock synchronization signals. Logic will need to be the Master for synchronization to work. It used to work with Logic 7 but Apple removed this feature for some reasons. Christian[/quote] I was thinking of maybe get some device that could act as a master clock form Logic/Midi clock. If there is such a device :) //JOJA
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Joja, What I meant in my earlier post was how have you connected (cabled) the MAM1 arppegiator to your Mac? Also, out of interest, I've googled "MAM1 arppegiator" but haven't found any info on it. Can you let us know the name of the manufacturer and the model number please. Cheers :) Rounik
  • Tetusui
    Hi! Its connected to the Emagic AMT8 midi interface both in/out. Couldn't find any "official" link fot it either. But here are some to give you an idea of what it is :) Realised I gave you the wrong name for it. Sorry about that. http://www.retrosound.de/map1.htm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nDqo3iS61w (it's not me playing on that video :) ) If I just use a midi keyboard to controll and use its built in clock it runs very nice. I think my problem got to do with the "cycle" mode and perhaps some kind of midi loop. Thanks! //JOJA
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi joja, So when you turn cycle mode off, it works ok?
  • Tetusui
    Hi! Its just an suspicion right now that cycle mode give me some of these problems. I will do some more experimenting this weekend. I´ll let you know the result. //JOJA
  • Tetusui
    Hi again. A small update. I solved my problem by buying av Midi Merge unit. The way it is set up right now is that it takes the clock from Logic in one input and midi note data from a second midi input and merge them to one midi out. Wich goes into my MAM arppegiator. The output from MAM then goes back to Logic. Works beautifully now. No glitches (even in cycle mode). Life is good my friends! //Joja
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: