macProVideo.com
Forums
  • definfected
    Vocals
    How exactly do I set up to record vocals in Logic 8? I have Fast Track Pro as my audio interface. I'm using one condenser mic connected to my interface. Thanks.
  • mtec
    Re: Vocals
    Hi, First of all Logic needs a folder to record ur audio to. right click or ctrl click on the record button in the transport bar. the record settings window will appear. At the bottom of this window click the set button and choose which folder you are going to record into. If you have already set up a folder when Logic started then forget the last step. click the record ready button on the track ur using. talk or sing into the mic and turn up the volume/gain on ur audio card, u should see a signal comming into ur channel fader. thats it, adjust the level and start recording. Remember if ur using a condensor mic then u will need to turn phantom power on from ur audio card. hope this helps p.s make sure the fastrack is set as ur audio card in logic preferences>Audio.>Device.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, Just wanted to add a few things. In Logic 8, once you have saved a project, Logic defaults to saving recorded audio into the folder *your project name*/Audio So, you don't need to worry about that. Recording audio into Logic just needs a few steps: - Connect your mix into the input of your audio interface. - Connect your interface to your Mac - select it, if need (as mtec described) in Logic. - Turn on the phantom power on your interface. - Click on the "R" (record enable) on the audio track header or it's corresponding channel strip. - check the levels by speaking/singing into the mic. - Place the playhead where you wish to begin recording. Press the Record button in the Transport to begin recording. *If you want to adjust settings relating to the metronome and a "count-in", choose: File > project settings > Recording & File > project settings > Metronome If you haven't already got it, check out the Logic 8: Core Logic 101 tutorial: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic8101[/url] It'll get you up to speed with this and show you how to take advantage of many of Logic's recording and editing features. e.g. Take folders, Punch in recording, etc... Cheers :) Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, just to add one more thing. Make sure to name your track before you start recording so that any audio regions created are labelled something relevant from the get go as opposed to audio track 1.1.2.3.4.5.5. Colouring tracks is also a useful tip. Depending on what you're recording you might eventually come up with a system where all lead vocal tracks are recorded as Vox and are coloured light green, with backing vocals labelled BVs and coloured a darker green. That way you instantly know what it is you are looking at in the arrange without having to listen and audition before making edits!
  • definfected
    Just to let you guys know, I have yet to get any kind of sound to my Mac with the mic. It registers on my audio interface just not in Logic. I have no idea what's going on.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi definfected Can you detail the steps you have taken to set up the mic in Logic... Also, just to check, 1. what mic are you using? 2. Which input on the M-audio is in plugged into and how? 3. Have you selected the M-audio as your interface in Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio [Devices] ? 4. What version of Logic are you running? 5. Have you downloaded the latest M-audio drivers for your interface? Thanks Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    ... just to add to what Rounik asked, can you hear the vocals through the headphone jack on the Fastrack?
  • definfected
    I can hear the vocals through my headphones from the audio interface and I have recorded vocals in Nuendo on my PC. It's just not registering in Logic 8 for some reason. I can't find out what's going on. I really appreciate all of your help. Thanks.
  • Cajypiu
    Kia Ora, by the sounds of it, you just need to select the Fastrack as the audio device in Logic's Audio preferences. Can you confirm you've done that? The other thing you might want to double check is that you have set a record path for audio files to record to. This last step is done for you when you create a new project and save it.
  • definfected
    The fastrack is selected and I have an audio folder in my project for the audio to go to.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: