macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Nosylya
    MIDI Drum Kit Into Logic Pro
    Hi all, Just need to see if anyone can answer something for me. I have an electronic drum kit (Roland TD6) and I want to set up a Logic template so it's ready to go at the drop of a hat. I'd like to have a single audio instrument track for the whole kit (set to use the EXS24). That's the easy bit. I'd also like to send the individual parts to separate tracks. Eg: have a separate track recording MIDI info for Kick, another for snare, another for hats, each tom, etc. Each track running its own EXS24 sampler set up to only accept information from its designated trigger/pad. Does anyone know how to best achieve this, or any other suggestions on how to simultaneously record the 'whole' on 1 track,as well as (only) it's 'parts' on others? Hope I've made sense here. Cheers in advance!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: MIDI Drum Kit Into Logic Pro
    Hi Nate, There are a few ways you can set this up depending on what exactly you want and how much control you wish to have... I'd recommend Creating a SI Instrument track. Placing a Multi-Output version of EXS24 on that channel strip. Select the drum kit preset and click on EDIT button on the EXS24 faceplate. Route the different zones you need to different outputs. Open the Mixer and click on the + button to create Aux's - one for each different routing option you have made. Record your drum track and when finished select the region and choose: Region > Split/demix > Demix by note pitch. You now have separate regions on separate tracks using ONE EXS24 on one Chanel. Easy to edit MIDI data. If you want to place effects on the separate sounds (e.g. kick, snare, HH, etc) then use the relevant Aux's in the Mixer to do so. Save the project as a template. There are other ways to do this too. Let me know if this works ok for you. Cheers Rounik
  • Nosylya
    Cheers mate! You're an absolute legend!!! That's even better than what I was looking to do initially as it's less taxing n the system (running the single EXS24 instead of multiples). That EXS24 is one awesome piece of machinery once the veil's been lifted. Thanks so much for your quick resonse. So much to learn and such little time...
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Nate, No problem! It's great when pieces of the Logic puzzle begin to click into place. It's very important IMHO to use plug-ins in an efficient way :) The EXS24 is already one of the most cpu efficient samplers available, but using plug-in in multi-output can still give you the control you need in Logic... Have you checked out the EXS24 tutorials? In fact any of the Logic tutorials. They have saved me and many others countless hours. Of course, ask any questions you want to here and we'll be more than happy to help if we can :) Cheers Rounik
  • Zihymua
    What you mean Rounik by open and SI track, i tried with your explanation and could not get to it is it possible to extrapolate more or differently so perhaps i will get it this time Thank you
  • Nosylya
    Hi Alrobi, Before I try to elaborate, keep in mind, you'll be recording you're drums to a single SI (Software Instrument) track, the same as you've probably already been doing. This method saves having to set up an ESX24 on multiple tracks. You are using only 1 EXS24, the difference is where you send the individual voices on the way out of the EXS24. So, you first create a new SI track and insert your EXS24. There are 3 choices when opening the EXS24. You can open a Mono, Stereo or Multiple Output version. Choose The Multiple Output version. This will allow you to split the kit up and send individual voices to their own Aux channel strip from within the EXS24. You then have to open up the EXS24 and select a drum kit (I used Rock Kit for example). Click on the EDIT button. Change the top left of the new window from 'Zones' to 'Group' and from there you need to set up your 'Routing' column so that you send the individual voices to where you want. Look for the voices you are interested in, they are coded so the kick is BD002... etc. I sent the Kick to 11, Snare to 12, Hats to 13, Toms to 3-4 (I grouped the 3 toms together, therefore a stereo track was needed for panning), Cymbals to 5-6 (again...stereo track) and just for good measure I put the Ride to 14. Then save that setup with a different name (I called mine 'Rock Kit Split' so I can call that kit up any time for future projects. Close the floating EXS24 window, record a few bars or whatever and select the region you've just recorded. Then choose Region > Split/demix > Demix by note pitch. Open the Mixer and you'll see a + at the bottom of the channel strip. Hit that a few times until you have an aux channel for each of the outputs you set up. Solo the Aux's and you should be ready to mix your drum sound with all the flexability of having recorded each part of the kit on a seperate track (well, pretty much anyway...) So you're not really splitting the original drum track up. It's still a single SI track when you look at it from the arrange window. You're really just deep editing from inside the EXS24, which is done from the Mixer Window. Hope that makes sense. Many thanks to Rounik for sharing the knowledge. That's one mighty fine tool to have in the shed. Now all I need as a great library of drum sounds!!! (any suggestions???) P.S. The only trouble I'm having is with the hats. I think the velocity settings in the editor needs tweaking as it's triggering the open hi-hat at weird times (my guess is it's the velocity settings anyway). If anyone has any suggestions I'm always happy to listen. Anyway, to all out there in recording land... Best of luck with your masterpieces! Cheers from OZ!
  • Zihymua
    It is 5 oclock am and to start my day, a coffee,on side my dog, and i received this great explanation, believe me this Forum rock, i should say the best Logic Friends in all the Web A thousand thank you in Italian Millé Gracié and in French Mille Mercies AlRobi
  • Zihymua
    I am almost there, on the EXS24 when you click on edit a new window open in this window, how can you know which sound is in the track, because weird name to associated,so , how to trigger the sound to see which is which to be able to assigned it to the good output hope you understand i am French speaking and i tried my best
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:77720]That's one mighty fine tool to have in the shed. Now all I need as a great library of drum sounds!!! (any suggestions???)[/quote] Hi Nate, Thanks for the reply - haven't even had a chance to read it through in it's entirety - surely you have won the longest (and most useful) post of the month award ;-) As for your above Q. What kind of drums/music do you make? Stylus RMX is amazing for a whole range of electronic and other based drums. Addictive Drums and DFH are both very popular and I think focus on real drum kits. Cheers Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Ciao Alrobi, In the Piano Roll you can see the pitch of the MIDI event. e.g. the snare might be on D1... In the EXS Instrument Editor you can see the pitch of the zone above the keyboard - and also you can click on the keyboard to preview the sound. Change the routing options here in the Editor: [img]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2848/picture5iz8.png[/img] Hope that helps :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: