macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Vegitei
    Ultra-Dismay with Ultrabeat
    Greetings All. Steve, I recently endeavored to use Ultrabeat for the first time in a serious meaningful way. I had bought and watched your MacProVideo tutorial back in the summer and it was excellent, but until recently I hadn't had need or occasion to really dig in. I spent a good deal of time constructing a user setting with a customized kit and almost 24 carefully constructed sequences for a live performance. It was quite time consuming, but very exciting and rewarding until... I saved the setting and tried to reload it on my MacPro. (I created it on my MacBook Pro.) When I tried to open it, it tells me "No audio selected". Which was not cool. Apparently, none of the samples were saved with the setting. I thought maybe I had done something wrong (my understanding was that the associated audio samples would be saved in the setting file), so I went back to my laptop and, ARGH!, my original file wouldn't even load properly! Now the sequences were all intact, but my kit was gone! And of course, reloading even a standard kit replaces all of my carefully constructed sequences! If Igor had been here, he may have become violent. So some scouring of the web including the LUG seems to indicate a myriad of bugs, but I can't get a clear sense of just where things stand. (The most recent posts on the topic I could find dated back to last summer.) Any chance you (or anyone here on the forum) has any insight or helpful suggestions? I'm really disappointed. Just when I'm ready to tap into the potential of this great (in theory) plug-in, it looks like a total disaster. Thanks, Rich M.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Ultra-Dismay with Ultrabeat
    Hi Rich, Sorry to hear this! What version of Logic are you using? Any plug-in setting is a tiny file - which saves just the "settings" on the face plate of the plug-in. Where is the folder of your audio samples on your Mac Pro's HD? Have you checked in your project's folder for the audio files? I don't understand why/how when you went to open your Ultrabeat kit on your Mac Pro the associated audio files were not present? When you want to transfer projects from one mac to another, it;s very very important to Include the relevant assets when saving the project. i.e. File > Save as... click on the Advanced disclosure arrow make sure "Copy UB samples to project folder" is selected. Cheers Rounik
  • Vegitei
    Thanks, Rounik. Actually, I created the original in MainStage, so there's not a project folder, per say. (Perhaps the "Concert" file is the equivalent?) I'm currently running OS 10.5.6 and Logic 8.0.2. I'm going to check the Project Settings now. (You're the second person to suggest that I need to check "Copy UB samples to project folder".) Again, though, I'm not sure what the equivalent of a Projet Folder is in MainStage. (I suppose, if needed, I could just do all of this kind of work in a Logic project.) I'm wondering now just what data is included in UB kit files. Are the samples included in them, or are they merely pointed to? In which case, where are they located? Anyway, I'm going to have a go at it. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll report back to let everyone know how I make out. Rich M.
  • Vegitei
    OK, a quick update for those who are interested... After some experimentation, here's what I've learned: The "Save Ultrabeat Samples with Project" setting in Assets does resolve much of my issue, seemingly. So thanks again for that suggestion. A couple of caveats: This is a problem in MainStage, as there is apparently no such "save assets" option in that program. This is where I originally created the kit and sequences, because it was intended for a live performance. (Which is of course why I never even thought about the "Assets" option, as it doesn't exist in a MainStage Concert as far as I can tell.) So what I did was to go back and create a new Logic project, created a track with UltraBeat, recreated the kit, saved the setting, and then saved the project with the appropriate "Assets" options checked. Then I went back and created a new Concert in Mainstage, created a channel strip with UltraBeat, loaded my setting and, VOILA!, all was well. HOWEVER, when I move this to my MacPro, not only do I have to move the UltraBeat Setting file, but I have to copy and move the folder from my Logic project with the UB samples in them, too. (Obviously) But then when I try to load the setting in UltraBeat on the MacPro, I get the same message as before, asking me to find a sample (just one) from the kit. At this point, I navigate to the folder with said samples, find the one requested, and hit enter. From there, UltraBeat seems to be able to find ALL the required samples and loads them up. So this is certainly workable, and again I appreciate your help. However, I'm wondering if there is a location I can put the transported samples such that Ultrabeat will find them without asking when I move between computers...? Anyway, thanks again. And a shout out to Steve, Igor, and everyone in the community. You guys are great. Rich M.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Rich, Thank you for posting that info! You can find all your user plug-ins settings and channel strip settings, Mainstage layouts, patches, EXS24 Sampler Instruments and song templates etc in: Users/*Your user name*/Library/Application Support/Logic However, as far as I know, because Ultrabeat allows you to use audio samples from any location on your HD, you will need to transfer these files separately unless you choose to include assets within your saved project. It might be a good idea to create a folder which contains all your UB audio samples if you're going to be moving from macpro to mbp a lot. That way you can copy that folder to your mbp and know that where all your UB samples are. Thanks! Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: