macProVideo.com
Forums
  • xtremo
    ultrabeat with external midi controller
    can you use ulrabeat an output midi controller?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: ultrabeat with external midi controller
    Hi xtremo Welcome to the forums! Yes, you can use a MIDI controller to trigger Ultrabeat. If you have any questions about this let me know :) Cheers Rounik
  • xtremo
    yes i want to know how do you do exactly that because I have midi keybord and i want to use it to do the rithoms on ultrabeat .
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi xtremo, If you have a USB MIDI Keyboard, plug it in to the USB slot on your Mac. Download the latest drivers for it (most of the time this is not necessary). Open Logic. Place Ultrabeat on a Software Instrument track. Play the keyboard and you'll hear the drum sounds. I think UB's kick drum starts on C1 btw. Hope that helps :) Rounik p.s. have you checked out the Core Logic 8: Logic 101 tutorial. If you don't have it already you may find it very very helpful :) [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic8101[/url]
  • xtremo
    ok , all that i know jejej but my question is not maybe i didn´t formulated correctly.When you are in the ultrabeat window you can do the rithoms in like a grid where all the parts of the kit are and you can do a loop , and my cuestion is if you can record on that part controlling it with the keybord .
  • Rounik Admin
    OK. So you want to know if you can record notes into Ultrabeat's step sequencer using a MIDI Keyboard? Unfortunately not. However, you can set up the Hyper Editor in a similar way to UB's step sequencer and record your drum patterns using a MIDI Keyboard that way. I'd love Logic to have a feature where you could use a MIDI Keyboard to either input MIDI notes into UB's sequencer or drag regions from the Arrange area into UB. Cheers Rounik
  • xtremo
    ok thank you and sorry for so muck questions :P and how do you set up the Hyper Editor in a similar way to UB's step sequencer and record your drum patterns using a MIDI Keyboard that way? And how do you add a new kit i have downloaded?
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem! I'm more than happy to help if I can with any questions you have :) You don't NEED to use the Hyper Editor - you could simply record in the Arrange area of Logic in to the Piano roll, but using Hyper Editor will allow you to create a drum editor that looks more like a step sequencer. I'd really recommend you check out Septembers edition of Steve H's Logic TNT1: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logicTipsAndTricks[/url] for full tips and tricks on using the Hyper Editor. Really well explained! But, here is a basic outline of how to do this: 1. In the Piano Roll Create notes from C1 to C3. 2. Open the Hyper Editor. 3. In the Inspector Choose "Create Hyper Set for Current Events". 4. You now have a lane for each note, you rename each note - e.g. C1 becomes "Kick" 5. To use your MIDI Keyboard, simply make sure the SI track in the Arrange is selected (and record enabled) hit record in the Transport and play the notes. 5. You can adjust the grid and pen width and using the pencil tool draw in notes in the Hyper Editor. 6. You can also adjust velocity using the pencil or pointer tool when editing the drum pattern. Hope that helps :) Rounik
  • BlueFielder
    I watched the segment on controllers in Logic 101. It was ...'ok'. pretty slim materials. As part of general Logic knowledge, not just UltraBeat...I'd like to learn more about using controllers. Tips, Experiments, Configurations... I would bet that a dozen or so dedicated video segments added to one of the advanced courses would open a few wallets... certainly my own. Or maybe there are video segments that already have more than just the 2 that 1 watched in Logic 8-101. Thanks... and hurry up.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi KnotEye, What exactly are you interested in learning about MIDI Controllers? Have you checked out the Steve H TNT series 1 & 2 tutorials? Also, feel free to add your suggestion to the "Suggested Training" sub forum here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/suggested-training[/url] Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: