macProVideo.com
Forums
  • NeoDavinci
    Sculpture steel drum tuning
    Quick Sculpture question: The tutorial talks about a steel drum. How do I make it so the tuning is consistent every time a note is struck, but not perfect from note to note? These are steel drums, after all. :) Simply randomizing the tuning has the wrong effect since steel drums don't change their pitch, even if that pitch is slightly off.
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Sculpture steel drum tuning
    Hi Neo, you want to look at your keystrokes for that effect. I think the key parameters for a steel drum are dependent on how hard you hit the drum. For example, when you hit the drum hard, there is a pitch modulation of not just the note that was struck, but because the 'heads' are all interconnected... you will get harmonic ringing of the other note. Also, the harder you hit the drum, the more high frequency content there is in the sound. Therefore, you will want to look at making a few parameters velocity sensitive such as cut off frequencies as well as pitch... and maybe make the pitch change more subtle if you think it is playing with the tuning too much. Regarding the tuning, you could also consider assigning an LFO to the pitch and playing with the rate of the LFO so that it does change slightly from note to note, but if you beat sync the LFO, then it should come right musically in the piece if you dig my meaning.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Sculpture steel drum tuning
    Hi NeoDavinci To add to the great advice Yadj has given, have you checked out the "Caribbean Steel Drums" channel strip setting in 10 World> Caribbean> ? You can make the same adjustments in the EXS24 that Yadj advises above :) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: