macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Vivisuy
    Mix Question - (Bangs, Booms and Rumbles)
    I have used the popular "Big Booms" and "Rumble" sounds in songs for certain transitions or break points etc. My problem is that I can't seem to make them stand out in the mix as well as I would like. I want them to be heard without being too loud, and yet feel them too. Does anyone have any suggestions or rules of thumb concerning these sound effects. (Bangs, Booms and Rumbles)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mix Question - (Bangs, Booms and Rumbles)
    Hi! It sounds like you need to create space in the mix for the booms and rumbles. I'd use the Channel EQ in Analyzer mode on the fx to find out what freq. range it has and reduce those freq. bands in the other tracks a little. You could also increase the eq on the rumbles - towards the mid freq. spectrum to give them more presence. It depends on whether you want them to be present in the lower and/or mid freq range... Think also about where they sit in the spatial field (panning). Have you applied some compression to the booms/rumbles to help them stand out a bit more? Let me know if that helps :) Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Kia Ora, just to add to Rounik's comments. It would be good to know what other sounds the rumbles are competing with in the mix. Could you let us know what they have to cut through? Sometimes these things are a bit of an illusion when it comes to perceived loudness. Compression is good to get the overall average loudness up but overdone, it can makes things sound smaller or further away. Use the channel EQ, find the loudest lowest note and boost there... for weight and low end rumble you want to be playing in the lower 100Hz region. However, as Rounik said, if you boost at higher frequencies over 2kHz, then you will bring out harmonics of the lowest rumble/ note and that will help give a low end illusion on speakers that can't play back the low notes. Definitely Pan centrally so the booms and rumbles come out of both speakers equally... unless you want stylised effects like thunder claps coming from off center. And, probably more importantly. Cut frequencies that don't help! Low mids/ mid range say from 150 to 1.5 kHz can be scooped out to draw more attention to the areas you have boosted. That range is also known as the nasal range therefore can make things sound weaker. Hope that helps. j
  • Vivisuy
    Thanks, the EQ tips helped my rumble part cut through a little better. I also used a little more compression and got a little more loud perception. This was ok because I cut the muddy sounds out. I have one question. I cant see anything on the channel eq analyzer up above 2khz. Will a boost still help? Also I was wonder if you could suggest some other "Hit, Bang and Boom" sounds. A good example is the Hybrid sound. Their song "Dogstar" captures exactly what I'm trying to achieve.
  • Cajypiu
    No probs. The best advice I can give is, if in doubt, try it! That's the weird thing about EQ.... logic would tell us that we won't hear any frequencies above 16kHz ish.... with the state of my hearing I can't hear much above that anyway.. but.... boost healthily over 10k and you will hear the trickle down effect on the frequencies below the boost. Therefore, just because you can't see it in the analyszer, doesn't mean you won't be able to hear it! Not familiar with the Dogstar reference you give but I'd just think what sounds make a bang type sound. I'd also recommend speeding up and slowing down sounds too. Kick and snare drums played quickly and slowly, when layered, can be convincing. Recording doors banging and played around with is also effective. Let us know how you get on.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: