macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Pepe D
    Live Sequencing Playing Situation.
    I have a question, what would be the best way to play sections of a song for a live playing situation? like to repeat the chorus (in case the people is singing) and then go to the outro of the song or maybe just jump to a different song (ordered in folders or markers of course) . I thought it'll work with Touch Tracks but only plays MIDI, then I'm trying it on the EXS24 but doesn't begins exactly like a loop, it depends on when i hit the right key, which would be my best option? Thank you very much to all of you. Chamaco.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Live Sequencing Playing Situation.
    Hi Chamaco, Welcome to the forums :) It depends on how long the sections are. If they are short, then you could consider using Ultrabeat.... loading the samples into UB, creating new patterns and then using the pattern mode to tigger the different patterns. You would need to use a MIDI Keyboard for this - but because it's using UB's step sequencer, it will be easy to trigger new patterns right on the next beat... Does that help? Rounik
  • Pepe D
    Well they are long, I'm talking about secotions of 32 bars at least, may be 64 in some cases, and going to another song involves like jumping around the arrange. Thank you very much.
  • Pepe D
    Sorry I didn't read the rest of the message, that may help yes, but UB can't assign different outputs than the main ones right? or am I wrong? I'm playing a 50 min. arrange (total) with more than 15 songs through 8 different ouputs, I'm only trying to repeat choruses, outros or solos in 3 or 4 songs. Thank you very much again. I've read some other threads, this forum and you guys are amazing. Thanks a lot. Chamaco.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Chamaco, I think an app like Abelton Live would be better suited to do this, but there are some ways to do this in Logic... Ultrabeat can output it's "voices" to different outputs! You need to select a multi-out Ultrabeat when inserting it on a channel strip. In UB's Voice Assignment section (far left) select the voice and click on "Main". Now select an alternative output. In the Mixer click on the "+" button at the bottom of the UB channel strip to create extra Aux channels. They will be fed by the signal from the relevant UB voice. btw, why are you playing 15 songs within one project? Also, you could use Markers and either key commands to return to the marker (which could be the length and position of a chorus) or Met Events to trigger it automatically... Cheers Rounik
  • Pepe D
    Well this is because I'm playing a whole show with sequences, can I go longer than 16 bars in UB ? I'm not sure about that, also I don't know what Met Events are, but that sounds like a good option. Thanks a lot for the support it feels great just to know there's someone who can help. Chamaco.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Chamaco, Don't worry about Meta Events... you won't need to use those for this - and I think it might end up being glitchy anyway... In fact, if the regions are longer than 2 bars then I'd choose Touch Tracks. They can do what you want... Create separate loopable audio regions for the main part of the track, chorus, verse etc. Drag those into the EXS24 Instrument Editor and set the Key range so e.g. C1 note corresponds to Intro, D2 to Chorus... Turn off "Pitch" and turn ON "1 shot" Save the Instrument. Create a region on the EXS24 track for each part (e.g. 3 regions, one for intro, one for chorus, one for verse etc...). Draw the relevant MIDI note in the region to trigger the exs24. It helps to resize the region to the length of the audio sample (e.g. 16 bars...) Mute the regions on the EXS24 Track... Now Create a touch track object in the Environment Mixer layer and cable it to an Audio Channel Strip. Close the Environment window and drag a region from the EXS24 track onto the key in the TT window which you want it to be triggered by. e.g. Intro -> C1 Verse -> D1 Chorus -> E1 Set the triggers to "Single" Set the Start to your desired choice. I find "Next Bar" works well. Here's a pic to show an example I quickly setup: [img]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1130/picture25.png[/img] Logic's transport must be running (playing) for Touch tracks to work. You can either use the metronome to help you trigger the parts of the track when needed or look at the Bar Ruler while Logic is playing. Let me know if that helps :) Rounik
  • Pepe D
    Wow that seems to be the right option, is this way better than just triggering the EXS24 by it self with the corresponding notes? I'll try it tonight and let you know, Thank you very much again. Chamaco.
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes, much better than triggering only using the EXS24 because Touch Tracks allows you to quantize the regions start point - so for example selecting "Next 1/1" sets the region to start on the next bar after you trigger the note! Very cool :) Rounik
  • Pepe D
    It's working, it's really cool thank you very much!! Now I'm trying to trigger a note (from my octapad) to get the Play & Stop key command to work (as well as the Go To Marker # key command), but as it is a Learn Assignment it takes velocity and all the parameters so, when I hit the pad they're never the same parameters, I'm trying to fix this in the environment with a transformer but I can't make it work yet, any help will be appreciated. Thank you very much I'm very happy with my touch tracks. :) Chamaco.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: