macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Logic Pro: System Overload
    Hi Jodie, if you follow the upgrades you're talking about, a funky monkey system you will have! Regarding the buffer settings. There's no hard and fast rule really, but generally speaking, the buffer settings are there to help optimize your setup. When you lower the buffer size, the good side is, you make the computer more responsive when playing with software instruments via keyboards... the bad side is, you make the computer work harder for the same number of plug ins. I think you need to clarify what you mean by recording too. Recording audio, recording keyboard performances and recording audio/ external MIDI traffic have different requirements. As a result there are are different 'delay/ buffer' compensations for the different tasks. To answer your question though, stick to as low a setting as your system can handle when recording (assuming you are recording MIDI keyboards playing software instruments). When you have finished adding to your arrangement and enter the mixing stage, put the buffer size up to 1024. That will give you more headroom to add more effects without you getting that error message. To allow for even more headroom, when it comes to mixing, bounce as much as you can as soon as you can to audio so you are not relying on mixing with lots of software instruments and effects draining your resources. I would also stay away from USB drives for streaming samples and audio projects from. The sustained data transfer just isn't up to it compared to firewire or esata. Cheers, John
  • Bj
    Hi Jodie, Adding more RAM and having a larger Internal Drive will help a lot... and Yes writing your Projects to an External Drive is the way to go. Re DRIVES: 7200rpm for both External and Internal is advisable for Music... also I have found Firewire 400 more efficient than USB 2... ( I have both...). Hope this helps, Cheers, Bj
  • Jehubyi
    Hi BJ, Thanks a lot for the info. I'm learning lots:) Jodie
  • Jehubyi
    Hi YADJ, Thanks for the info. I'm learning lots of stuff from you guys:) By recording I meant, recording AUDIO. Oh yeah, your funky monkey comment was funny:) hahahaha:) Thanks for the buffer info. too:) I understand now:) I guess the next thing is to upgrade my internal harddrive and get 2GB more of memory:) Thanks for all your help. Jodie
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: