macProVideo.com
Forums
  • djwhiterabbit_oc
    Re: Memory Nightmare
    When I tweaked the plist file for Logic Pro 8.0.2 and changed the way Logic Pro treats virtual memory with Leopard and Snow Leopard the result was nothing changed? At the Apple Store me and the One To One trainer tried this tweak with Logic Pro 9.0.2 and nothing changed. Logic Pro 9.0.2 requires a major rewrite since it still is 32 bit has a 32 bit audio engine foundation before it will ever become fully compatible with 64 bit and have 64 bit memory addressing. I still deal with this memory nightmare. Now, by using Presonus Studio One Pro which works and sounds fantastic right now with its 64 Bit double precision audio engine as its foundation on Leopard or Snow Leopard and the proactive support and community of Presonus Studio One Pro now and into the future Apple must convince me that they adopted a proactive approach for me to even be on the fence or consider adding six hundred dollars for retail or even three hundred dollars to get an update to Logic Pro that will be 64 bit. FYI: WARNING!! proceed at your own risk! FIRST MAKE A COPY OF YOUR PLIST FILE SO IF THINGS GO TITS UP YOU CAN GO BACK TO WHAT YOU HAD BEFORE!! - Open the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist file in the property list editor. - In there create a dictionary item named EXSVMManager. - In this dictionary create two sub items of type number named VMSegSize and LRUSize. - Set VMSegSize to 2048 and LRUSize to 64. These values appear to be default in Logic. - Try setting VMSegSize to 1024 _or_ LRUSize to 32 and check if: a) you can add 0.2 GB more 3rd party stuff and b) EXS playback is still stable. If yes, you might change both values to the smaller number, resulting in 128 MB instead of 512 MB window size.
  • Kupexai
    Puh... I wonder if any of the folks at Apple Pro department do crossread this forum at all. Will they let us know when these issues are solved out? Do they work to present a fix soon? I hope anybody out there experiencing bugs and thinking about features/workarounds knows and uses this form frequently: http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks for posting the link Maxon. This is the most effective way to communicate with the Logic developers... although you won't necessarily receive direct feedback or a response from them. Best Rounik
  • Xygupia
    Actually, as long as you have more than 5 gig of ram, EXS can load more than 4 gig of samples. George
  • Xygupia
    Revised.... Re: Memory Nightmare Actually, as long as you have more than 5 gig of ram, EXS can load more than 4 gig of samples when you enable it in the EXS preferences. As for Logic and ram issues: Plogue Bidule makes a smoking AU or VST host app, and one can run an entire VSL orchestra if you use the correct articulations. Most of the big composers I work with run Play on a second Mac Pro, with 16 gig ram, one instace, all instruments. It takes a while to loadm but with Midi Over Lan, and Play it works fantastic, fluid, and stable. Play now has a 64 bit engine, as does VSE, and Kontakt 3.5 and 4. BUT Play likes it's own machine, and in my experience doesn't play well with other sample apps (no pun meant). I have set up about 10 major composers rigs over the last 6 months. The idea or running Logic 7 OR 8 seems to me to be a very bad idea, but then, Snow Leopard is also an issue, and I wouldn't recomment using it for now. !0.5 can run 64 bit apps fine, and Snow Leopard doesn't boot into 64 bit mode anyways... the whole 64 bit thing seems to be a bit confused: a "64 bit audio engine" is different than a "64 bit compatable application". One is an audio processing engine, the other is an application... two different things. Logic 9.01 or 9.02 work fantastic for me, I was almost ready to move to PT since so many of my "Pro" guys use it for stens and audio editing. with Logic Pro 9, I have been resold the isdea of Logic being a stable app... BUT using 10.5 8, not 10.6... Well, that would be my 2 cents to this mismash of ideas and commentary ;-) George Leger III Utopia Parkway Music www.georgetechguru.com
  • Xygupia
    BTW sorry for the bad spelling and stuff. The editor for the BBS is pretty... confused.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi George, Thank you very much for this valuable input! I'm sure it should help clear up some misconceptions in this thread. Out of interest you mention MIDI Over Lan as one solution to overcoming Ram limitations. Would you mind elaborating on this? Great to see George III here on the mpv forums btw! :) Rounik
  • Ben
    George, I suppose you mean Midi Over Lan to hook up to a slave sampler machine, right? What problems have you had with 10.6? I started having my computer CRASH (yes, like a "grey screen of death" if you will) on me using Logic 9.
  • Xygupia
    Hi, and thanks for the welcome. Yes, I mentioned Midi Over Lan as a way to get midi data from one computer to another. One can actually use the built in Mac networking midi driver if they only need 16 channels of midi. Yes, 10.6 does not seem to be as stable while Logic is running, I see crashes for no apparent reason, lots of plug-ins that are no longer officially supported (Waves for example). I reverted my computer back to 10.5.8 and have been having no issues like I see in 10.6. I tell my tech clients not to upgrade yet, there really isn't any good reason to. No one has a 64 bit native version of their DAW app running, there are only a few 64 bit plug-ins as well, plus only the most recent Macs will even work properly in 64 bit mode.. check it out, it's true. Like they say in the wizard of OZ (disregard the man behind the curtain... Snow Leopard is allot like that: not what people think it is... wait a few years until ALL macs run in fully supported 64 bit mode, things will be better. For today, we have 10.5 (later versions as far as I understand) and 10.6 OS that WILL run any 64 bit native apps fine. It's all very confusing, and allot of the info that is out is wrong... kinda like the health care thing here in the US ;-) Happy computing, George Leger III georgetechguru.com
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi George, I'm a little more optimistic that within the year SL and Logic will be working more happily and efficiently together. My main rig is 10.5.7 and Logic 9.0.2. Works pretty great. However, on a simple setup SL and L9 don't have many problems here either. It feels like there have been a lot of transitions in the last few of years and that the software hasn't quite caught up with the hardware... but hopefully this will change soon. On the other hand, I used to get the job done happily on a beat up PB G4 1Ghz with 1GB Ram ;-) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: