macProVideo.com
Forums
  • mtec
    Imac or Not
    Ok guys its time for me to get a new Mac so my question is shall it be a Mac pro?(which has now gone up in price) or, a new Imac with lots of Ram. Let me know ur thoughts please Pro's & cons. cheers
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Imac or Not
    Hi mtec, It really depends on your needs... the new iMac's are very very capable machines! But, if you require PCI cards then you'll need either a MBP or a MacPro. How many audio & soft. inst tracks would you run in a large project? How many plug-ins etc would you envisage needing? Also worth considering checking out the Apple refurb store: [url]http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=MTE2ODI[/url] or popping in to your local Apple store and enquiring if they have any of the previous model Mac Pro's at a discount ;-) Cheers Rounik
  • Zihymua
    I believe you better go with the basic new MacPro because this is the new Nehalem processor and with a Mac Pro you will be able to upgrade it after, if you go for a iMac you need the 24 inches to be able to go up at 3.06 speed and if you had all the option you need it will cost you more than the basic Mac Pro. CON for Imac you get stock with the same model no upgrade possible say next year. MAC PRO you just keep the casing and you can rebuilt it, say in 3 years from scratch if ever you need
  • mtec
    ok guys i dont need pci as i use a firewire audio midi soundcard. i do use quite a few plugs and poss 10 -20 audio tracks max. i know the new imac's can now be rammed up to 8 gb so do i really need a mac pro. thanks for ur comments so far. mtec
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey mtec, From what you've said, I'd think you'd be fine using the current iMac's. Even using some of the more intensive plug-ins and instruments and 20-30 tracks you should be fine with the iMac. Maxing out the ram and using an external 7200rpm fw400/800 HD for your projects and samples would be great! I'm currently using a MBP 2.4 w/7220rpm drive and have great performance with upto 20-25 SI and audio tracks. Get the best you can afford in terms of cpu ghz speed as this will, to some small degree, help to future proof your purchase. If there's an Apple store nearby, drop in and check out the new iMac's performance using Logic. HTH Rounik
  • mtec
    Thanks Rounik Im doing the Apple T3 training course this week to become an Apple Logic Trainer for Logic. i will ask in the London store to c if they have any of the last generation Mac pros b4 i make a final decision on the imac. cheers mtec
  • Bj
    Hi mtec, Always a hard call when it's time to Update to new Hardware.. Only you know what you really need and what your budget allows... If portability and pci slots are not a high priority go to your local Apple store and have a look and a play with the new 24" iMac 2.93Ghz. Even the standard ' out of the box ' configuration, seems very impressive... 4gig RAM, 640 Gig HD and the Nvidia GT 120 Graphics card... All very nice. Two points though... Still a Glossy Screen (which some people like) and only one Firewire 800 Port, (which can be overcome with a Firewire Hub)... Hope this helps, Cheers, Bj
  • mtec
    Thanks for ur comments. i dont need portability as i have a macbook which works fine. i have a G5 dual 1.8 with 4.5gb ram and as i want to get Omnisphere i think it might struggle. i use massive and absynth and they are really pushing the poor old thing now. i cant complain though its been rock solid and i have recorded many a song and an entire album with it. Now its going to a good home and i got a good price 4 it so, decisions decisions. thanks
  • Bj
    No worries mtec... good luck with your decision making... let us know how you go... Cheers, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:26194]No worries mtec... good luck with your decision making... let us know how you go... Cheers, Bj[/quote] Yes! & good luck with the Logic T3. I did my Logic T3 over in Hanover Street last year. Had a really good time - met some good people too :) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: