macProVideo.com
Forums
  • supersport
    delay when recording
    new user here......well, I started experimenting with delay and all kinds of audio effects, not realizing that some of these settings evidently stick. Now, when I go to record my voice, the audio recording happens, but there is a slight, yet annoying delay (as in not synced with the music) to the midi/audio music playing on the other track(s). I've done the reset channel strip thing but that didn't work. Is there not a default setting for all plug-ins and audio effects? By the way, also, usually when you record audio, after finishing/stopping the vocal, the wave usually appears.....but now the there is no wave, just a straight line. Any ideas? Thanks for any help....I'm stuck. tom
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: delay when recording
    Hi Tom, The delay you're talking about is called latency. In the Logic 101 Martin shows how to adjust the Buffer Size : Logic Pro/Express > Preferences > Audio [Devices] Here you can set the I/O Buffer size. The lower the setting the less latency (time between when you play/sing and you hear it monitored back through headphones/speakers). If you find the latency really off putting try turning off "software monitoring" - which will allow you to monitor the signal DRY while recording. When you say that there is only a flat line... Are you sure you're not recording a low signal? Have you tried using the Waveform zoom tool: (it's the icon of the waveform in the bottom right corner of the Arrange area). [img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7749/picture3azl.png[/img] Also, please do list your system spec. For example is your version of Logic 8.0.2? What version of OS X are you running and what Mac are you using. Cheers Rounik
  • supersport
    Hi Rounik, thanks for the reply. Here's the info about my computer: Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac8,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache: 6 MB Memory: 2 GB Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00 ---------------- and I've already tried altering the buffer....doesn't do anything. I've also turned off software monitoring and switched to low latency mode. Also I'm starting on a new song....... so the problem is when I hit the record button, the song begins and I start singing, I immediately start seeing the waveform like normal, but then when I push stop record, the waveform immediately disappears (turns into a flat line)....when I double-click the audio clip it does appear at the bottom in the sample editor, albeit offset a tad. So, when I playback the clip the vocal is offset from the midi by a fraction of a second or so...(too late.) Does not happen in Garage band so I don't think it's a problem with the system. I was wondering if re-installing the program would return everything to default....but Thanks for any advice.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tom, Check the delay value is 0 in the region parameter box (in the Inspector). Also, does this issue happen in other projects? Can you also tell me which audio interface you are using, the version of OSX and confirm you are running Logic 8.0.2. btw, some effects (like delay, reverb, limiters, etc) are latency inducing plug-ins - but if you've turned off software monitoring then this shouldn't be affecting you in this way. Rather than re-installing Logic, I'd suggest deleting Logic's preferences files (when Logic is not running): User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist Then restarting Logic. Please post the answers to the above and let me know if this step here helps. Lastly, have you tried adjusting the waveform zoom set (in the picture in my previous post). Cheers Rounik
  • supersport
    Hi Rounik, Yes, I am running Logic Express 8.0.2...the delay in the Inspector is on the checkmark...(which is in the middle and I assume means no value)..and yes the delay happens in all projects in Logic, even new projects. It does not, however, happen in Garage Band. And it did just fine before messing around with some of the audio effects and inserts. and the closet thing I have in my preference folder to what you stated is this: "com.apple.logic.express.cs"...of which I have not deleted yet. er...and I admit to living under a rock a bit, and this is my first mac (one week old) so I'm not sure what version of OSX I'm using or the audio interface you're asking about. and about the waveform...it does not appear, even with the zoom....(the other wavs do zoom, however.....but the new recording is just a straight line....however... after I double click on the what I just recorded, and then trim it in the sample editor, then sure enough the waveform becomes visible in the original blue window above....(strange). I appreciate your help. tom
  • supersport
    just an update......er...the recording delay under the preferences/audio/devices/core audio was set all the way to the right....just moved it to the middle and voila! Thanks Rounik for your replies and help. tom
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Tom, Great! That was my next suggestion anyway ;) However, are you sure you can't find a preferences file? Logic ALWAYS has a .plist file - this is where Logic's global preferences are stored. The Logic express pref file is: com.apple.logic.express.plist and do check in the following location: HD/User/*your user name*/Library/Preferences/ There are two preferences folders (one in the Library folder on the HD and one in your user account folder). Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: