macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MarsExplodes
    Chopping up a Drum break from vinyl and creating ultrabeat kits
    Hi. I purchased the Ultrabeat Unleashed tutorial and learned TONS! (Thanks Steve) But what I'd really like to be able to do is take a nice, open drum break from old vinyl, chop up each individual drum sound, and create my own sampled kits in Ultrabeat. As I understand, this is what DangerMouse does to get his killer vintage drum sounds. I know how to incorporate my own chopped samples into UB (from UB-Unleashed). But I can't find any info on how to tweak the individual samples so they sound more natural in the context of a song. The samples are short and don't ring-out like the included-kits. So it ends up sounding super-mechanical and bad when I use these samples. Any info (or links) that can help me figure this out would be ~greatly~ appreciated. Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Chopping up a Drum break from vinyl and creating ultrabeat k
    Hi MarsExplodes, I'd suggest playing with the Envelope 4 for each voice to make sure you are not cutting the sample short. Also, adding a little reverb on the UB Channel could also help... Have you thought about layering the sounds. e.g. your sampled snare with an existing snare voice in UB? The trick would be to find a voice that's similar enough and keep in low in the mix. But most of all, it's important to find the best hits to sample in the first place. IMHO sampling is an art form and can take a little practice to find the hits that will work well, especially is the drums you are sampling have a lot of reverb/effects already. Try playing around with where you are cutting the samples to create start and end points. Maybe even be quite generous with the sample length as you can adjust the end point in UB's envelopes. Let me know if that helps :) Cheers Rounik
  • MarsExplodes
    Thanks Rounik. Great ideas. Now that I think about it, I do recall reading an interview with DangerMouse where he says he layers multiple kicks, snares and other drum sounds. That's probably his trick. I'll definately be giving some of your ideas a go.
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem MarsExplodes! :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: