macProVideo.com
Forums
  • logicluvva
    2- Microphone guitar recordings
    Hello. This concerns acoustic & electric guitars using a 2 mic set-up. Can someone please explain the best way to set the channels up in Logic's mixer ? How do I use Sample Delay and the Gain utilities in order to deal with the phase ? What is 'Sum to Mono '? Is it relevant here ? Sorry about the multiple questions but...ANY help would be much appreciated as it means I'll be able to really experiment confidently with the source sound.Cheers
  • Bj
    Re: 2- Microphone guitar recordings
    Hi Pala, Re Recording Guitars... Acoustic Guitar is usually recorded as a Mono instrument, thus eliminating phase issues, and Treatment added after the Microphone/ sound source. Electric Guitars are usually Inputted straight into the computer, and/or, via an interface... BUT if the Guitar is plugged into an Amplifier to get a particular sound, then a Mono Microphone, placed in front of the speaker is the way to go... Once you have the Audio File in Logic you can go crazy or not, with FXs. There are some very nice Preset Channel Strip Setting for guitar in Logic. There is nothing that says you cannot use Stereo Microphones, but, at the very least you will have phase issues. Hope this helps... Bj
  • logicluvva
    Thanks Bj. The thing is..for rhythm guitar or acoustic where the instrument is part of the larger band and not really solo type..I would say the channel strip presets are fine.Much like a Pod.But there's an edge that I miss that only my valve amp can give.The Source sound. When an electric lead guitar part or an acoustic guitar is more up-front and bare..then the double miking/amp is supposed to give more tonal variety and a lot of bands do it this way. Similar too with the acoustic mic'ing of having a pair spread 3:1 or something. One mic is good but I am interested in the XY and MS etc configurations at the amp and need help regarding this.... ONLY with how the two channels are set-up in Logic's mixer.Then what to apply to the channels and in what way. I know that certain tools are used to deal with the phase issues.... I have been reading the manual but it just flits through it rather than specifying the exact way to use Gain/Sample Delay/Direction Mixer etc. So , to try and cut all this down...I need to know what to do with the two signals from the amp/acoustic....and where to apply the relevant tools to fix the phase issues. Thanks for the reply and I hope this makes it clearer as to what I want..and that's to choose from as many options as I can....(even if I may end up preferring the one mic option). Thanks Pala
  • Bj
    Hi Pala, I tend to use the mono system... Perhaps there are some other forum members who have tried recording guitars with multiple microphones and have some tips and tricks they are willing to share... Or maybe experimentation is the way to go... you never know what might eventuate... All the Best, Cheers, Bj
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: