macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jehubyi
    Re: HDD/CPU/Memory
    Hi again Rounik, Bj, and mtec, This is a message from my friend who helped me with my upgrade from 120GB 5400RPM to 320GB 7200RPM: ""Hi all. This is his friend. I upgraded the drive by cloning it via superduper. As far as I'm aware, it does a permissions repair after restoring the drive. I'm fairly sure that the problem is related to the fact that we decided to rename his drive from the standard "Macintosh HD", presumably logic is addressing his samples using the drive name in its path. Curious, but I try copying it again or simply changing the drive name if I can. This is not the first time I have upgraded an internal HDD. I did the same on my own MBP. I must admit its a hell of a lot easier on the plain old macbook. Also, I'm pretty sure that the MacBook rift has, that's me Jodie, will not benefit from 4gb of ram as it will only read the first 3. Older macbooks and pros are subject to a 3gb limit on memory for some curious reason. As for the slowness, I suspect it just hasnt had time to adjust to the new drive and run the various optimizations that it does while you sleep. Either that, or it is also related to the drive name change (like some kind of search loop for files it cant find is draining memory?). " Me again guys. That's what my friend said. Whaddya think? Jodie
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Rounik, Bj, and mtec, Can you give me your thoughts on what my friend said (in my last post)? Thanks. Jodie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jodie, Your friend is right, 4GB would not improve your situation if your Macbook is the older version that can support upto 3GB of ram. You could ask your friend to help you max it out to 3GB ram - but I've heard that even numbers work better and sometimes going from 2 to 3GB produces a negligible difference. Your friend seems very knowledgeable about Mac's and the hardware side, so I'd go with his advice, especially as he is there and has seen your machine! If it were me & if things are still not working out, I'd consider backing up my internal HD and formatting it and then reinstalling the apps from scratch... but then again, you've got an expert there (your friend) who I think will give you very good advice. Another trick is to leave your Mac on overnight - to allow all the system maintenance stuff that may need to happen in the background to take place. Cheers Rounik
  • mtec
    i agree with Rounik. Backup ur internal and then i would do a clean re-install of the os and put ur apps back on, its a pain, but at least everything should run fine afterwards. hope all goes well and ur back up making music soon. mtec
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Rounik, Thanks for the advice. My MacBook is version 10.5.6 with a capacity of 4GB of RAM, but my friend says that only 3GB of that 4GB will be noticed. What's that all about? You mentioned that I should leave my Mac on overnite; My friend says I should NEVER turn it off or shut it down. He says just close the lid. He says Mac are not meant to be shut down. Is that true, and if so, why? Thanks. Jodie
  • Jehubyi
    Heh mtec, Thanks for the advice. I've forwarded your advice and comments to my Mac buddy:) I sort of haven't played around with Logic lately cuz I'm learning Ableton Live now:) That is an awesome software:) Do you use Live? Thanks again. Jodie
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:44659]My friend says I should NEVER turn it off or shut it down. He says just close the lid. He says Mac are not meant to be shut down. [/quote] Hey Jodie, I admit I don't often shut down my Mac, but before important training or projects, I often restart and repair permissions at the very least... and I haven't died yet ;-) Maybe you could ask your friend the rationale behind his advice? To find out if your Macbook is capable of using 3GB or 4GB of ram go to: [url]http://www.crucial.com/[/url] and use the online Crucial memory Advisor tool by selecting your Mac's details etc. Then you'll find out the max amount of ram your Mac can use. I think it's true that with the older mac's that could only read 3GB, it might have been possible to install two 2GB sticks, but only 3GB will be read by the system. I wouldn't advise doing this though. Cheers Rounik
  • mtec
    I rarely shut the Mac down but as Rounik pointed out i do repair permissions after installing apps and the like or b4 a training session. i do teach Ableton Live and Logic and have used it on many projects. i often start projects in Live and then finish them in Logic. The only problem with Live is the Midi side, this needs to be updated as its no where near as easy and flexible as Logic's. The Audio side of Live is fantastic and could teach Logic a few things(IMHO). i just use what's best for a particular job. regards mtec
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, I'd say it's a combination of things by the sounds of it. Yes OSX does do a few maintenance things at '4am' or whatever it is, but that would be more of an optimisation thing.... not a break fix thing! The drive should be fine, but outside of it being re-indexed, there shouldn't really be anything else to 'bed' in. If only it were like a new pair of shoes! Depending on when the hard drives and root directories were were renamed in relation to when they were cloned will make a difference. One thing you could look at is getting logic to re-scan your hard drive but to be honest, and as much as a pain the bum as it is, I'd be tempted to wipe re-install. You know what you're starting off with and if you're after a rock solid reliable system, it prob will be quicker and more robust than trying to debug what you have... unless your mate has the time to spend doing it for you!
  • Cajypiu
    I'd also say the 3GB of RAM thing could be getting mixed up with what Logic can address (3GB max at present) or what your MacBook can have installed.... there were some that only took 3GB with the new ones being 4GB and 8GB I think in the flash ones. If your computer can take 4GB then logic can use up to 3GB of it, your OS will typically use 1GB there 4GB is the optimum. You can trick your system in to using more if it can handle it via rewire or routing audio from stand alone samplers (not plug ins) and syncing them all together... but really, that's more hassle than just making music in layers and bouncing... IMHO.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: