macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Burafao
    how to copy and paste Automation data
    Hi All, i have an audio file from a project that i am going to put into a new version of the project, a new project. The audio track has a lot of automation that i might want to change later. I don't want to make a bounce and use a new audio file, so how can i use the audio file and insert the original automation? Or do i have to redraw all the automation manually? I of course can do that but i'd rather not, i did look through the manual but could'nt find the info. Thanks for any help. tOM
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: how to copy and paste Automation data
    Hi Tom, - Create a new track using the same channel strip (Track > New with same channel strip) as the audio track in the original project. - Create an empty region on the new track and make it the length of the automation/audio region. - Choose: Options > Track Automation > Move all track automation data to region - Now open the new project, but DON'T close the existing project. - Copy the empty region (now with automation) to the new project. - Import the audio file into the new project (different track, same channel strip)... - Choose: Options > Track Automation > Move all region control data to track automation. There are other really really cool ways to manipulate automation data. In fact Steve H has a great series of tips (December edition) you may be interested in: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic8303tnt2[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • Burafao
    Hi Rounik, thanks for your speedy reply. There is a problem following your instructions.The 3rd one. - Create a new track using the same channel strip (Track > New with same channel strip) as the audio track in the original project. No problem - Create an empty region on the new track and make it the length of the automation/audio region. No problem. - Choose: Options > Track Automation > Move all track automation data to region PROBLEM. When i do this the white vertical lines appear in the new empty region, but in the original region, all the automation data is completely changed, for example, all the nodes on the volume data are wiped out. PROBLEM Now when i UNDO the above process the automation is restored but all the automation colours have gone wierd, they have all gone a paler shade of what they were, the volume colour is now very light yellow, AND the new region colour has become a very dark brown/grey colour. I'm not concerned though as i have'nt saved the above processes. Very curious. Thanks tOM
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Tom, So, have you followed the instructions right through to the end or stopped there? The - Choose: Options > Track Automation > Move all track automation data to region command basically converts track automation to Hyper draw (region based automation). That's why you see the white lines in the region and the TA isn't there anymore... You can use the move region data to TA command to move data the other way. Colours should be the same - but also shouldn't make a difference to the automation on the track. So, is the problem that once you convert TA to RBA (region based automation) and press play the parameters are not automated? They should be. If you're unsure about this process (which I've done successfully many times) keep a backup of your project and experiment on it... or there is another way: Save original project as... now delete all the other non-essential tracks, audio and midi regions etc to leave you with just the audio region and it's automation. Remember when saving as... choose to save in a new folder and make sure you copy NOT move the assets to that folder incase you decide to destructively edit the audio file in one project but not the other! Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: