macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Braden
    converting cd rom samples
    Hi; I've been converting some old Roland samples from their original cd roms so I can use them in EXS. I'm using CD Extract to convert. Most of them converted o.k. but a fair number of them have an obnoxious "electronic" buzz and sometimes a chorus/detuning effect that kicks in after you initially play them on your controller. The pitch of the note actually drops a semi- tone if you sustain the note. Mostly brass and woodwind type sounds are the worst for this happening but other sounds as well. Would anyone have any idea what causes this, and how to fix it ? thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: converting cd rom samples
    Hi Braden, I've not used CD Extract before and don't have any Roland samples to try this process out on... so I'm afraid I can't help you on this... Perhaps you may need to try extracting those particular samples again? Cheers Rounik
  • Braden
    Thanks anyway Rounik........I have tried re-coverting these particular ones a few times.....same result. I'll check around the net..... best Braden
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Braden, out of interest, there aren't any filters or pitch adjustments being made in the EXS24 by default were there? I read in an article a while ago that on some sample CDs, AKAI, ROLAND, whatever, in some cases it doesn't bring any filter settings and whatnot that would have been used in the hardware sampler across.... but in some cases it does so the EXS24 tries to match it. Is there anything turned on in the EXS on those samples that aren't behaving themselves? Cheers, John
  • Braden
    Hi John; The settings seem to be the same in Ex for everything I've converted. The samples that are messed up play fine when I play them from the sample folder there saved on. Its just when I play them from EX and inside Logic they go weird so it has to be something in EX thats doing it. It sounds [on some of them anyway] like the sound has split itself into octaves, as well as detuning.....lovely !! Any suggestions welcome..... thanks for you reply. B.
  • Cajypiu
    Hummmm.... sounds intriguing that's for sure. Have you tried importing in to a different sampler? Have you also imported the samples in question, re-exported them out again at the same format, then rebuilding a sampler instrument with them to see if you get the same result? Not ideal I know, but just trying to isolate the problem, whilst also things to at least a point where you can use them as desired? Cheers, j
  • Braden
    Hi John No, I haven't done any of that.....I don't think I know how to do all that, actually. And I only have the EXS sampler. I'm wondering how badly I want these samples......since there pretty old, although they sound good. On a somewhat related topic.......How would you rate the Garritan Orchestra stuff with the VSL library....aside from the difference in cost ? B
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Braden, well, you should have Ultrabeat on your system and that allows you to import other samples so I'd try with that. When the EXS imports samples it put's files in two places. A sample instrument folder (basically the 'document' files that the EXS creates) and a physical Sample folder, i.e. where all of the samples are stored to create the various instruments. You should check out the samples in the latter location and simply see if you can import then in a logic session and use them. Or import them in to Ultrabeat. You can also edit the EXS instrument in question by loading the problematic patch and clicking on the edit button. This exposes the grouping manager and sample zones etc and you can drill down in to each sample created and audition what they sound like. As for the Orchestral stuff goes.... to be honest with you, I have no experience with either. One thing that is definitely missing from plug in list is orchestral bits and pieces. In one of Steve's tutorials he was using another sampler for strings which seemed pretty powerful... but does anyone else have anything to chime about either of those? Cheers, j
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: