macProVideo.com
Forums
  • dobrojoe
    Learning Logic
    I bought the Logic 101 tutorial but it had me lost after 5 minutes. Where can I get a basic overview that gets me up to a stage where Logic 101 makes sense. I am trying to use Logic as I would a multi-track tape recorder and I know it can do it. Things like how to hook up monitors, use inputs, how to avoid time delays between playing and the sound coming back from the monitor. I need to start with the basic functions not to be thrown in the deep end of a pro studio mixing desk!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Learning Logic
    Hi dobrojoe and welcome to the forums :) Where are you getting stuck with the Logic 101 exactly? Can you mention the section number you are finding like a "pro studio mixing desk"? All the info (except for the 'how to hook up monitors' - as this is specific hardware related) are in the Logic 101. You could try skipping some of the Chapter 1 'Song Construction' and coming back to it later... but I think you will miss out on some very valuable workflow tips and basic concepts, because Logic although Logic can be a simple 'tape recorder' it is incredibly powerful... In fact, scrap some of what I said... as early as videos 03 and 04 the basics of tracks, channel strips and inputs are discussed... Does that help to give you an immediate sense of using tracks (like a 4 track) and placing audio or MIDI onto those tracks? What background are you approaching Logic from? Cheers Rounik
  • dobrojoe
    I am getting lost staight away - section one. I am not using MIDI - just a microphone to record vocals and acoustic guitar. I may put down some electric bass later. I have previously used hard disk recorders (Korg and Yamaha) and I can use Sound Studio to edit sound files and GarageBand to jam along with tracks. The official Apple Logic manual is totally indigestable and my eyes just glaze over when I try to read it. Logic 101 goes straight into jargon. I don't know what I'm looking at because there are no reference points. The guy is talking about 'objects' and 'buses' and stuff without explaining what they mean. I don't know because he hasn't told me yet. I need something that explains the basics in terms that I can understand.
  • Zihymua
    Hi i dont know if this will help you, i am basically a graphics and pro-video, 2 years ago i didnt know nothing about music, i start with Logic 101, step by step, first you open Logic create one audio track and one software track and you play back and forth with Logic 101 one step at a time and you will get threw, if you get stock on one purpose you come back in this Forum and there are some almost genious like Rounik always there to give Help, Logic Pro it is huge app. be clever with you, take the time and like me i am now not to bad after 2 years and when i am stock ill get back to this forum. Ex: Last week i bought the lesson for Ultrabeat, i was ready for it, so one piece at a time i will be on, Be patient have tenacity and you will do it
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, I couldn't have put it in such an eloquent way as Alrobi...! To add to this, I would say, the training takes you through Logic in a very logical (pun intended) way bu introducing you to concepts and explaining them as and when you need them, in both theoretical and practical ways. If you are familiar with Garageband, then there is a FREE tutorial to help you switch from GB to Logic here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/GBLogic[/url] Let us know if you need any further help. Thanks, Rounik
  • dobrojoe
    Thank you Rounik, this video is just what I needed to bridge the gap. Switching between the two programs shows how much more elegant and less confusing the GarageBand interface is. I'm sure that if Apple had produced Logic from the ground up and not bought it in, the interface would be a lot better. Apple seem to have the knack of knowing what to leave out. Now for some more questions...in another thread.
  • Wilifua
    Thanks guys, this is what I'm looking for, that is learning how to learn (One step at a time, and coming to the forum with questions). Reading how others are dealing with learning how to use logic helps me. Also it does seem most of the lessons I've studied are very vague about hardware, including Mainstage. I guess I'm too old school, although I do use midi keyboard, I'm just as interested in hooking up bass, guitars, and mics as I am in keyboards. Analog Audio controlers? Footswitches? for guitar effects? Can midi controlers be used to control guitar, and vocal effects in Mainstage? How? Live applications for logic? Thanks
  • Wilifua
    Basically, I hope to learn to use logic as a live processor for vocals, guitars, and keyboards with a foot controller. I have the two mainstage courses, and I've read some of the gear threads. Any ideas? Thanks. Tim
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi guys, Well that's what the Switcher guide is there for - to make the transition a more friendly one :) [quote:91989] Switching between the two programs shows how much more elegant and less confusing the GarageBand interface is. I'm sure that if Apple had produced Logic from the ground up and not bought it in, the interface would be a lot better. [/quote] Maybe you will feel differently when you get to know Logic a bit better. but, a few things... Logic 8's interface was completely redesigned from the ground up by Apple. Garageband is based on Logic. However, it is much less complex and contains a relatively small number of the features and possibilities that Logic offers. Logic is a very very deep program. You will find it is extremely customizable and can be tailored to fit your workflow, where an app like Garageband will have one way to do a task, Logic may have many - it's a matter of picking the one(s) that suits you :) @ Loveschools, Great glad this thread has helped you :) Hardware is often not covered in detail in the 101 series... having said that, Martin goes into using the MIDI controller to control plug-ins etc in the "Automation" section. It's definitely worth checking out :) Also, in the Mainstage 101 tut: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/mainstage101[/url] Section 7 is devoted to MIDI controllers and how to use a MIDI Controller to Channel Strip etc etc... Hope that helps :) Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tim, Sorry, must have been posting at the same time... [quote:26984] Basically, I hope to learn to use logic as a live processor for vocals, guitars, and keyboards with a foot controller. I have the two mainstage courses, and I've read some of the gear threads. Any ideas? [/quote] Out of interest why do you wish to use Logic and not Mainstage for this? But, I think it's possible to do in Logic - depending on what you want to control with the MIDI Foot Controller... You can assign the controls on the Footswitch to any plug-in using the "Learn Assignment" or Key Commands window But, if there is a specific tutorial you would like to see, do post in the "Suggested Training" forum: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/suggested-training[/url] Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: