macProVideo.com
Forums
  • dobrojoe
    Re: Learning Logic
    [quote:7638]Hi guys, Maybe you will feel differently when you get to know Logic a bit better. [/quote] Maybe. [quote:7638] but, a few things... Logic 8's interface was completely redesigned from the ground up by Apple. [/quote] You surprise me. I bought Final Cut Express at the same time as Logic Express and got the training videos at the same time too. I took to Final Cut like a duck to water (after using iMovie). I might be that the examples in the Logic 101 are so far removed from from the way I work and the Final Cut examples were closer? [quote:7638] Garageband is based on Logic. However, it is much less complex and contains a relatively small number of the features and possibilities that Logic offers. Logic is a very very deep program. You will find it is extremely customizable and can be tailored to fit your workflow, where an app like Garageband will have one way to do a task, Logic may have many - it's a matter of picking the one(s) that suits you :) [/quote] That sounds a bit like a salesman talking ;) I don't think that having multiple ways to do something is necessarily good. Would you buy a car with reins and a tiller as well as a stearing wheel? One [i]good[/i] way is all that is needed. [quote:7638] Great glad this thread has helped you :) Hardware is often not covered in detail in the 101 series... having said that, Martin goes into using the MIDI controller to control plug-ins etc in the "Automation" section. It's definitely worth checking out :) Also, in the Mainstage 101 tut: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/mainstage101[/url] Section 7 is devoted to MIDI controllers and how to use a MIDI Controller to Channel Strip etc etc... [/quote] What is Mainstage?
  • Wilifua
    Thanks again, I certainly feel at home in a thread called "learning Logic". I've struggled a lot with it in the past, and hope to start over on it. Any tips would be appreciated. I think I have most the tutorials, but am not satisfied with my knowledge and ability to use logic like I want. I've recorded a few songs, and been driven back to garage band, but a kid I used to produce (non professionally of course) is now going to school for audio production, and comes by and wants to use logic. I've already forgotten most of what little I knew. I think this thread will help me get back into it though. When I said I wanted to use Logic in a live setting I was including the possibility of using Mainstage since I consider that a part of Logic. I've used garage band '06, a macbook pro, guitar, bass, keyboard and mic, with backing tracks live through Mackie slr450s. I used pitch correct (live) on my vocals, and patches for my midi keyboard, and patches for my guitar. I have an employee talent show in May I'd like to play in, and may try that again. I have a small gig in June with a band and would like to use garageband/logic/mainstage for my guitar and vocals with the band I'm playing with. I guess it's too much of a learning curve for me, but sometimes I enjoy trying. I guess I'll end up just using my vypyr amp and footswitch to that. I guess I skim over things too quickly. I got the two Mainstage courses and looked at the sections I thought would apply to using Logic/mainstage as sound processors (stomp boxes) for vocals, guitar and synths, using a footpedal/switch for a controller. I'm confused about using MIDI controlers, I thought they wouldn't work with Digital Audio, only midi instruments, but I guess your saying they will work with any plug ins including plug ins for vocals and guitars? I'm at work but hope to look more closely at the mainstage tutorials, and the 101 parts Rounik suggested. Thanks again, I hear you dobro, with all due respect, Logic 101 seemed to be teaching how to make new age rap, when I was inpatient to learn how to record bluegrass, rock, classical, and folk, using real instruments. I do think it's great though, and hope I haven't offended Martin in the past. I'm alcohol free now for over a year!:) I'd still like a more basic course called something like "Punk Rock Logic", or Logic for musicians that play "real" instruments. Cheers! Thanks again, Tim
  • dobrojoe
    Loveshools, you make a very good point. Where keyboard players and rap artist tend to be technology based, guitarist are more likely to use 'old gear'. The older your Strat or Les Paul, the better and we all know how much better an 'old' valve amp is. An introduction to Logic for traditional musicians instead of technos would be invaluable.
  • Wilifua
    Yeah, Dobro, I went back and checked "193 Using Multiple controllers" in Logic 101, and section 7 in Mainstage 101, as suggested and it only seemed to apply to keyboards, not guitars, or anything using mics or pickups, unless it is a midi guitar. That being said, I did start back at switching to logic and plan to take it step by step as far as I can. I may even use it this may or june in some gigs. I hope to use my macbook pro, probably garage band playing backing tracks, a guitar, mic, duet, and SRM 450s, or I may not do any singing. I have a couple of old, heavy tube amps, but have been impressed with modeling amps and software, (ok maybe lazy). Six years ago I produced some rap for my boss's son, and now he is going to school for audio production, so I do want to work on new school stuff with him to. I do love garage band and music notation software like Sibelius. Keep me posted on how you learn to use Logic. Some times I don't even know what to ask.
  • dobrojoe
    I don't know what Mainstage is. Is it part of Logic Pro? I only have Logic Express. I use a Line6 Spider Jam for what I think you are doing. I have been playing in a blues band in London but gigs are getting scarce and I want to do more recording at home. I have been getting pretty good results with my hardware recorders and doing waveform editing in Sound Studio when necessary. I have used Pro-Tools and Cubase in the past and found them too complicated - read 'badly designed'. I hoped that Apple's offerening would be a bit easier to learn but it is a bit like encountering the cockpit of a 747 for the first time. Most times, I can just look at a piece of software and know how it works. Failing that, a flick thought the manual should help. The Logic manual is terrible. You search for a term and then it explains it using jargon that you have to look somewhere else for. I can see that this is going to take some time! I just hope I last that long.
  • Rounik Admin
    Mainstage is a separate application included with Logic studio designed for live performance: [url]http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/[/url] As for Logic being analogous to a car, I don't agree. For a start if Logic crashes then there's no chance (I hope) of endangering lives ;) But seriously, Logic is a complex Digital Audio Workstation. It's worth taking the time to learn it's language. The experience with it can be enriching IMHO. Much like spending time in a non-English speaking country will be made more enriching by making an effort to understand culture, language and customs. Or when learning an instrument, it may help a musician to be able to understand some of the basic concepts of music theory in order to express the 'music inside'... I'm not saying that Logic is easy for everyone when starting out. But, it's a lot easier than Logic 7 (and this is according to the vast majority of students I've taught). That's because Apple did refine the interface from v.7 to v.8. Also, I agree Final Cut is easy to get into. Perhaps it's down to the familiarity of the metaphor of video, or down to the visual aspect of editing. However, there are some huge differences between a video editing app and a DAW IMHO: - In Final Cut you are essentially editing pre-captured content. The process would be to import video and edit it and add some effects and export, right? - Logic does more than simply audio editing. You can record audio live or offline like FC, and record MIDI, or create the content from scratch, including the sounds and the musicality of them (notes, melodies what have you). Then you can edit the audio and MIDI, arrange the composition. Mix the composition. Add automation (make changes to volume or effects over time)... Master the composition. Furthermore, we haven't even touched on synthesis, all the plug-in effects and instruments and sound design. ------- Logic may take a little while to understand. The reason I mentioned it's ability to be flexible, while not everyone's cup of tea, many pro's love this as it enables the user to customize Logic to fit their workflow and find workarounds that simply aren't available in other apps. ...and you know I haven't even mentioned the Environment in Logic yet and it's power and potential!... ;) Sure, Logic is complex and that may not be what every user wants, but it is IMHO flexible enough to be used simply too. Just spend some time with the tutorials here and some time exploring Logic :) Hope that helps. Thanks Rounik
  • Xyzefiy
    I strongly urge you to perservere. Logic is immensly intimidating. I am sure everyone has a story about how they got it out of the box and expected to make symphonys and instead couldn't produce a sound. I remeber how happy i was after I got logic to make a sound resembling a fart after about 3 hours of hairpulling. But now I've got used to everything (well not everything) Logic has opened up my creativity in ways I never imagined and I am making music I never thought I'd be capable of. and I am still just stratching the surface of this monster. The thing is about Logic is that once you get your head around it, it actually allows for a lot of freedom, there's no one 'proper' way to use logic. Everybody has their own style and Logic is flexible enough to allow for that. Garage band for it's accessability, does not. One day, I assure you, you'll see this. I totally agree the manual is a disaster, but the vids at mac pro are great. What I love is that when I am working on something and want to remind myself of the best way to do it, I just open up NED and there's Martin or steve showing me how to do it, instantly. and then you've got guys like Rounik here patiently helping you out as well, often replying within hours, man , I owe a lot to this site. absolute gem.
  • Wilifua
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'm starting over again. This morning I watched a lot of Switching from Garage Band to Logic, then recorded a short classical guitar peice in Logic. There was a slight delay. How do I decrease the latency?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tim, Go to Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio [General] and lower the i/o buffer size. The trick is to find a low value like 64, 128 etc that provides low enough latency while not taxing your cpu too much :) It's worth changing the setting to find what works best on your system for recording, and raising it again when mixing with lots of plug-ins if your Mac begins to struggle. Also, using plug-ins like space designer, limiters during recording will add latency, so try bypassing those plug-ins (option click on them). :) Rounik
  • dobrojoe
    I found the Logic 201 lesson very helpful indeed and much clearer than the 101. Tackling latency is one of the subjects covered and it all made sense immediately. I'm not having much success with beat mapping though. The audio downbeats are not nearly so well defined in my recording as in the tutorial. Question: Is it possible to display two tracks in edit mode at the same time? It would be very useful to have a midi track and an audio track running in tandem.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: