macProVideo.com
Forums
  • dobrojoe
    Adding a backing to existing tracks
    Okay, I know this is doing things the wrong way round but I have some old two-track recordings of guitar and vocals and I would like to add drums and bass at this late stage. In the first instance, I would like to produce a click track that is the same tempo as the original recording so that I can sync the other instruments to it. In Logic, is there a way to determine the tempo of an audio track other than to manually tap it in from a keyboard? In addition to that, if the timing is a bit off on the original guitar track, is there some way I can put it back on tempo? I know I can correct for audio pitch, but I don't need to, I know I can quantise MIDI but I need to correct for loose audio timing. Any tips would be appreciated.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Adding a backing to existing tracks
    Hi Depending on the timing of the original guitar and vox this can be a bit of a manual task... The process you're interested in is called Beat Mapping. Basically you'll be telling Logic where to shift it's grid to match the tempo of the guitar track... thus creating a varied tempo track, which Logic's metronome will follow and all MIDI performances too. It's a long process to explain by post! Do use the search function in the forum to see more posts and threads on this topic. I'll place some of my favourites at the end of this post too. Also, Steve H. has a specific tutorial for advanced editing in Logic, including beat mapping & quantizing audio: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic201[/url] Here are a couple of notable threads to check out on beat mapping: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=9904&sid=#9904[/url] [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=3859&sid=#3859[/url] Hope that helps :) Rounik
  • dobrojoe
    Rounik, Thank you for telling me about beat mapping, sounds just what I need - but I have no idea how to find the Beat Mapping Track and the Analyze button mentioned. I can see no mention of it in any of the menus and as usual, if I do a search in the Logic manual, it tells you what to do but not where to find it.
  • Rounik Admin
    Control click on Global tracks and enable "Beat Mapping". I'd really recommend Steve H's 201 Masterclass. He does walk you through step by step.
  • dobrojoe
    I bought the Logic 201 video and you are right, it is very good and well explained. Just one question, how do you determine the original beats per minute in an audio track - especially when it is not simple bump-bump-bump type rhythm? If I tap in a midi click track, can I determine the bpm from that somehow? I need to get into the ballpark before I can start beat mapping.
  • Rounik Admin
    you can try using the bpm insert plug-in... or cut an exact four bar section and use the example from the 101 video on matching tempo.... or turn on the metronome and adjust it manually during playback... :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: