macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Pro & Logic Express
    Apploescript and Logic Express 8
    Hello All, I am a real newbie to Logic Express and Applescript, ( literally started 2 Saturdays ago ) but look forward to the joys, trials and tribulations. Just bought the Sal Soghoian book, and its already dog-eared. I am very familiar with other audio programs and basic programming. I am presently working on a project that uses Logic Express to provide an 8 zone multitrack audio playback scenario, that is to say playing a randomly selected audio track from a list of 10-12 audio montages each of 2 minute duration. Trigger is from a Passive Infrared Detector, using Indigo automation software to trigger an Applescript. Logic Express is not scriptable except via GUI Scripting ( According to the Applescript Book by Sal Soghoian) So far, I have been not had any success in the use of GUI scripting on Logic Express 8.m Specifically, the following script : ------------------------------------------------------------------------- activate application "Logic Express" tell application "System Events" >>tell process "Logic Express" >>>> delay 1 >>>> tell button 11 of window 1 to perform action "AXPress" >>end tell >> tell process "Logic Express" >>>>delay 1 >>>>tell button 6 of window 1 to perform action "AXPress" >>end tell end tell -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Button 11 is the "return to beginning"button Button 6 is the "play" button the delay command slows things down so I can observe the Logic Express 8 window to see the commands being executed. What happens is that the application opens, it becomes the frontmost app, and I can see the actual buttons changing color on the Logic Express window indicating buttons are pressed, but nothing happens - playback does not start. Manually Clicking the button with the mouse starts playback, but not with the script ? Am I misunderstanding something here ? or is Logic Express really not scriptable by GUI scripting ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. ( Please be gentle on this Newbie ) Best Regards albertaurus Model: MBPro, 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GigRam, 200G HD AppleScript: Script Editor 2.2.1 Browser: Safari 525.27.1 Operating System: Mac OS X (10.5)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Apploescript and Logic Express 8
    Hi albertaurus Welcome to the macprovideo forums :) I'm not a whizz with Applescript... My understanding was that Logic is not (yet) fully compatible with Apple script. However, when you say "to say playing a randomly selected audio track from a list of 10-12 audio montages each of 2 minute duration." Do you mean that one audio track in the Arrange is selected and placed in solo mode and then you are trying to get Apple script to makes Logic's transport play? Either way, I think, placing those audio tracks as individual files in an iTunes playlist and scripting that playlist to randomly play one of the tracks would be much easier... What do you think? As I said, I've not really experimented with applescripting - so you'll know if this suggestion is a possibility :) Cheers Rounik
    Many thanks for your quick response. To clarify, each musical montage is an 8 track "song" if you will, with each track a different instrument or sound sample. All 8 tracks play at the same time through 8 channels of amplifiers and loudspeakers, sort of like the surround sound track of a movie. iTunes and Quicktime only playback stereo, or an encoded movie soundtrack up to 5.1 tracks. So, I figured Logic could work, as it is set up for multi track recording and playback. The rub is that this setup is for an unattended remotely triggered art display in a public setting, requiring no human interaction. Thus requiring some kind of control software using Applescript to control some type of multichannel audio software. Again, many thanks albertaurus
  • Rounik Admin
    I think I see... But I'm not sure about one thing... You want Logic to be able to record as well as playback without any user interaction? mmmm... Have you heard of OnStage? [url]http://www.fluqe.com/newnewssoft.htm[/url] I'm not sure if it support applescript - would it be helpful? Personally, I'd suggest an application like Max/MSP which is like Logic's built-in environment but more flexible, developed and powerful. It's used by many programmers to create plug-ins, musicians to create music, artists to create "random" or user interfaces for sound based art installations etc etc. [url]http://www.cycling74.com/[/url] That's all assuming you can't get the scripting to work in Logic Express. Thanks Rounik
    Actually, Logic express would be used to record the original tracks off-site. The on-site machine would only need to playback one of 10 or 12 pre-recorded 8 track songs. I will look into your other suggestions. I will check to see if Onstage is scriptable, and will investigate Max/MSP as well. Again many thanks for the help, albertaurus
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: