macProVideo.com
Forums
  • guitar_trance
    Drum kits- Separate tracks- EXS24?
    I'm using a drum kit in Logic 7 (ver.7.2.3), and I'm trying to send/split the kit's individual instruments to separate tracks for obvious reasons (effects on certain drums, not on others, etc; separate EQ-ing for some instruments; panning, etc... blah, blah, blah!). I am familiar with the "seemingly" limited editing capabilities within Zones/Groups, but I'm not sure exactly (step by step) how to accomplish what I need. I also know the Zones/Groups dialogue(s) within Logic 8 have been changed. Obviously, I need Logic 7 instructions. In Logic Pro 7 the output from within Zones/Groups allow the selection of Main, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, consecutively. First of all, what do those output numbers represent? Secondly, how do those selections transfer into separate tracks if or after chosen? On another note, why can the actual pitch (tune) of certain instruments in a drum kit be changed (via Zones/Groups), but cannot be changed for certain other instruments? For example, why can I raise or lower the actual pitch of the hi-hat in the 'Pop Kit', but cannot raise or lower the pitch of the snare or some of the toms in the same kit? I'm still a bit of a Logic rookie, and I know I'm missing something here... but that's why I'm posting. :¬) Sorry if I offend, but please don't tell me to upgrade to Logic 8... I absolutely hate Logic 8's interface -- not to mention I think it's butt-ugly in certain areas compared to Logic 7. So, for now, until they address some issues I have with Logic 8, if they ever do, I will continue to stick with Logic 7.2.3. Again, if someone could post (step-by-step) the best way to separate individual Drum Kit instruments and send them to separate tracks for individual editing/processing/etc. (in Logic Pro 7) I would be forever indebted to you! ;-) I'd prefer NOT to run multiple instances of the EXS24 sampler in order to accomplish what I'm after. I've gotten by [for awhile] laying down ideas by simply using a Kit and trying to balance processing, volume, tone, as best as I can on only one individual software drum track. Now I have some serious time to produce this stuff and I need to get truly serious about it while I have the time. The way I've been doing it represents a lot of compromises to my ideas, sound and production... it's time to do it properly now. If I had access to, and the space for a real drummer I'd do it the "real" way... unfortunately, I don't. So the EXS24 and/or other SI Kits will have to do for now. Thanks in advance for your time/help/expertise! :-)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Drum kits- Separate tracks- EXS24?
    Hi guitar_trance, Welcome to the forums :) You should upgrade to L8 ;-DD No seriously, I'm not sure i can give you detailed step by step on this as I haven't used (or even had access to) Logic 7 for over a year now... In terms of routing in the EXS24, you're doing the right thing, setting zones/groups to different outputs. A multi channel plugin can have a max of 16 mono outputs (or 8 stereo) - you need to route each voice/zone to a different output... Make sure the EXS24 you have opened is a Multi Channel version (when you open the EXS24 in the I/O section of the channel strip.) When you've made the routing assignments in the EXS24 close the editor and save the EXS24 instrument. In the Mixer select an Aux channel strip and in the I/O section choose: EXS24 > 3-4, 4-5, etc as the input per channel strip. You should be good to go now. btw, EXS24 1-2 outputs will be played back through the EXS24 Audio Instrument channel strip. Let me know if that helps :) Rounik
  • guitar_trance
    Hey Rounik, Thanks for the response... it's appreciated! :-) Yeah, I pretty much did what you posted in your response... but I must have left a step or something out... because it didn't work. Plus, I wanted to know a little more about the whole zone/groups/output issue(s). You confirmed and answered my question. Most people in forums have a way of answering "rookies" on some particular issue or procedure as if they already know how to accomplish certain things. As a result they answer in terms which demonstrate they assume one already knows the steps required before leading up to what they're actually trying to accomplish. I know, people are busy and do not always have the time to describe in detail... and it's not exactly a "right" or an "entitlement" on behalf of the one who needs the help. ;-) It's just nice when one does answer thoroughly, and doesn't assume the person who needs the help already knows how to get from point "a" to point "b" before reaching his/her desired goal of point "c". ;-) By the way, I've read this procedure, or a similar one, will also work for Ultrabeat. Is this true? I'm not at all familiar with Ultrabeat. In "messing" around with it, it seems to me it's geared more toward electronic music rather than for "realistic" drum simulation. I enjoy electronic music, especially trance and chill, but I'm a hard core rock and progressive pop guitarist who started as a fairly accomplished drummer. Though I haven't played drums for quite awhile. If I had the space I would buy another kit, bring my drum chops back up to par and do the tracks myself, or hire a decent drummer to do the them. Nevertheless, Ultrabeat seems as if it could be a fairly valuable tool. Besides, it's there... why not utilize it if it has advantages. :-) I will give this another go. Thanks a bunch for the response.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi guitar_trance, No problem. Can you tell me which step you don't understand fully.... or where things seem confusing. It's tricky for me to walk you through this as my head & heart are so deep into Logic 8, I can barely remember some of the procedures in Logic 7. Funny how quick we are to forget! I also found Logic 8 interface strange to get used to initially.... However, L8 is much easier to setup :) You can do the same procedure with Ultrabeat too. Infact any "Multi-Channel" instrument (including 3rd party ones). You ask why the pitch of some voices (e.g. snare) can't be changed. Can you tell me whether you are trying to make these changes in the EXS24 instrument editor or on the plug-in itself? Thanks :) Rounik
  • guitar_trance
    [b]No problem. Can you tell me which step you don't understand fully.... or where things seem confusing.[/b] Oh no, Rounik... I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying I [b]still[/b] don't understand, or am still confused. I was only referring to before you posted your first response, and how "some people" on forums aren't good at explaining or giving detailed information. My commentary in that regard was definitely [b]not[/b] intended toward you. Sorry if I misled. On the contrary, you gave me the answer(s) I needed, and I appreciate it. As far as Logic 8 is concerned, maybe I'm a glutten for punishment, but I don't like the fact that, from what I understand, environments (and cabling/patching) are gone from version 8. Also, I think they've "unprofessionalized" (not a real word, I know! ;-) ) Logic... it seems a bit too Garageband-ish now. On a less important yet still note of concern for me, I don't like how Apple has washed-out Logic's UI. Logic 7 has a rich-looking, deeper, more colorful, actually, let me rephrase that... a more "real life studio" look to it. Studio 8 seems as if Apple is trying to copy Pro Tools and other DAW interfaces. In my opinion, Apple really blah-ed Logic's interface. The info on the transport used to resemble a realistic studio transport with it's vivid blue-green readout. Now we have bland black bg w/white text info. One of the things that [i]moved me toward[/i] Logic to begin with was Logic 7's UI... it's realistic look and feel. I don't necessarily think Logic 8 is crap, functionally. I just don't care for it's UI at all. Although I do have my complaints about areas of functionality and it's "unified" interface. Personally? I enjoy the multiple window setup of Logic 7. I also don't like things such as the stationary transport, and I enjoyed transports at both the top and bottom corners of my arrange window... very convenient for me, depending on what I happen to be doing. Anyway, just a bit of explanation regarding my thoughts on Logic 8. Actually, I could go on about sore points... but I will spare you the rant! ;-) You mentioned it, I decided to give a few of my "sore spots" about 8. :-) As far as the voice pitch issue, I was trying -- awhile back -- to raise the pitch of the hi-hat, because the hi-hat for the particular kit I was trying to edit was a little "synthetic" sounding to me... if, you know what I mean. Sometimes raising or lowering the pitch of certain voices can make all the difference in realism, at least for me. Well, I managed to raise the pitch of the hi-hat and thought the snare could benefit from a bit of pitch lowering to get a richer, less brittle or tight sound, thereby giving the snare a bit more depth and realism. The pitch either would not raise or lower as with the hi-hat, or maybe it was only raising/lowering in inaudible semitones. Whatever, the snare's pitch wasn't budging to my ears. I haven't tried the above for awhile. Perhaps I just need to get more familiar with the EXS24... I'm sure there's a better way to accomplish what I was after. Or, maybe I was doing it the proper way but I screwed something up with that particular voice. If I have that problem again, I will post my exact steps and bug you good folks at this forum for an answer! :-P Anyway, you answered my question in your first response... my "less than adequate forum responses" commentary was in no way directed at you and your response(s). But have no fear! I'm sure I may well have other questions in the future... now that I know where you "answer guys" are hiding! ;-) Thanks again, Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi guitar_trance, Thanks for the kind words :) Cool! I have to answer some of your Logic 8 queries/thoughts... I had a similar experience when switching from 7 to 8. I thought the interface and colours in L7 were better initially. However, I gave L8 a chance and within a month of use I found going back to L7 weird on the eyes! In L8 you can still use screensets and different windows. There is no need, if you don't want to, to use the consolidated window approach. The Environment is still VERY much alive in Logic 8!!! I don't know who led you to believe that the cabling/patching had been taken away. Basically, creating and making tracks can be done in the Arrange area. So basic functions nolonger need to be done in the Environment. The more intermediate and advanced Environment features are still very much alive. Check out Steve H's TNT series in the Tutorials section. You'll see that many of the chapters focus on Environment tips... I agree about the Transport ability to be fixed in the top left of the Arrange. I liked that - or just having the option to set it up. However, since Logic 8.0.1 onwards there is the ability to hide the Transport in the Arrange area. Of course, you can still have a floating Transport window too. I particularly love the following about Logic 8: - Context Sensitive right click menus - Library/Loop Browser/Bin area - Better sounding plug-ins - dual channel strips in Inspector - fully customizable tool bar and transport - 40 GB of content included with Logic Studio (including Compressor, QT Pro, Mainstage, Sound Track Pro2....) - Ultrabeat's full view mode - Delay Designer - Much easier to set up Multi's in the Arrange - the way to create Aux tracks in the Mixer - Can output a channel strip to a Bus and set that Bus as an input on an audio track... then record in realtime (greater routing flexibility) - drag and drop samples into the EXS24's instrument editor. I'm sure there's more... ;-) I'm not trying to convert you. Honest! I think if you're happy and productive in Logic 7, then stick with it until you [i]need[/i] to change! Definitely let us know if you have any questions! Cheers :) Rounik
  • Jossy
    Mastering the kick drum in logic pro 7
    is there anyone who can help me for mastering the kick drum for a house music.. i mastered all type of instruments like snare,claps, hi hats and others with channel equ, compressor etc but i am not able to mastered the kick drum, it sounds very crunchy.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: