macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bongolicious
    Bouncing to cd
    Finished song @ 24 bit 44.1k, now want to bounce to cd, best steps after pullimg up bounce window, to dither or not to dither? click normalize or not? offline or realtime? pros cons, absolutes?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Bouncing to cd
    Hi Bongolicious, Yes, you need to dither when going from 24bit to 16bit. The different dither options give a different sound. So, I'd suggest trying all three methods and seeing which one you prefer. Normalize will push the volume up so it peaks at 0dB, unless you have set that differently.... personally I don't like doing this, i prefer to have control over how the audio will sound and get it mastered by a pro or attempt it myself ;) offline bounce will be quicker, realtime, will bounce in realtime (song plays). Some people like to listen to the bounce.... also if you are using any realtime tricks in the environment (like arpeggiators NOT connected directly to the Sequencer input, but to a track/channel strip) then bouncing in realtime is necessary. If you're really happy with your mix and/or the project causes Logic to falter during playback (disk too slow etc) then choose Offline. Cheers Rounik
  • Bongolicious
    thanks! If you bounce it to a 2channel st file 16 bit then import it to a new project then burn to cd does that have same results??? or is it better to execute the steps you listed?
  • Bj
    Hi Bongolicious, You can bounce directly into iTunes (following the steps Rounik outlined) and then burn to CD... In fact you could bounce the song, with the 3 different dithering settings, and then do a listen comparison and see which one you prefer... Hope this helps, Cheers, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    I'd keep the files in as high a quality i.e. 24bit and undithered for as long as possible. Especially if you are going to be using the audio files in other projects. Exporting to 16bit and performing a dither should be done ONCE only at the final stage of exporting to CD. Cheers Rounik
  • Bongolicious
    is the original file affected in any way from the bouncing procedures!!!
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:88946]is the original file affected in any way from the bouncing procedures!!![/quote] huh? Which original file? I think maybe you have misunderstood me. Bouncing is like exporting or perhaps rendering and exporting to a NEW audio file. Let me give you an example: I open a project in Logic. Create 6 audio tracks, 6 SI tracks. Record 6 audio files to audio tracks and have 6 SI MIDI parts. I bounce the project (12 trks) to one audio file (e.g. called 'BounceA.wav') @ 16bit with dithering because I want to burn it to CD. I also bounce a file called 'BounceX.wav This file has not been dithered and is still 24bit. The original audio files that were in my Logic project are NOT affected. They are the same! ----- Now I take my BounceA.wav file and import it into a new project with other 24bit audio files on audio tracks. I decide to bounce this project to a single file for CD. So as some audio files have been recorded at 24bit I need to apply dithering. It would be better (for audio quality) to have imported BounceX.wav instead otherwise bounceA.wav is being dithered twice. Hope that helps, Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: