macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Scottylad
    External step sequencer causing MIDI loop
    Hello. I'm trying to use an external step sequencer to trigger a soft synth in Logic. I have two MIDI controller keyboards, set to MIDI ch. 1 and 2. My external step sequencer is set to receive on MIDI ch. 2 and output on ch. 4. I trigger the step sequencer via a GM instrument set to ch. 2. My goal is to feed the output of the step sequencer to a soft synth that is listening only on ch. 4, while monitoring the output of that channel. My problem is this: When I play the GM 2 track the notes duplicate wildly in a feedback loop. It seems that when a track is armed in Logic it actually listens on all MIDI channels rather than the channel specified on that track. Thus it appears that in addition to the notes that I play on ch. 2, the step sequencer's own notes are playing back into the GM 2 channel as well. I have tried the Song SettingsRecordingAuto demix by channel if multitrack recording feature but that doesn't meet my needs because: 1) You must be recording 2) You cannot monitor the output of the destination channel (ch. 4 in this case) 3) The MIDI channels are not demixed until after you stop recording. Q: Is there a way to arm a track and have it listen only on a specific channel? Or is there another way around this? Thanks in advance... [Note: I have confirmed that my keyboard channels are configured correctly by setting the monitor function in the environment. Here's the odd thing: With auto demix turned OFF: I have an armed track set to MIDI ch. 1. I can play either keyboard and still hear its output on that track! I set the track to ch. 2 and hear nothing regardless of which keyboard is played.]
  • Christian L
    Re: External step sequencer causing MIDI loop
    Hi Scottyland, You are right, if you don't want to use auto demix, then a track that is armed will listen to all MIDI channels. Here's an idea for a workaround... you could use the transformer to filter unwanted channels. 1. Open the environment 2. Select New >Instrument (As usual, it is recommended to give useful names to the environment objects.) 3. Select New > Transformer 4. Connect the Instrument to the Transformer 5. Connect the transformer to the Channel Strip playing the soft synth 6. Double click the Transformer object and set it like this : Mode : Apply operation and filter non-matching events Status "=" "Note" Channel "=" "(the channel number you want to control your softsynth with") 7. In the Inspector, make sure that Channel is set to "All" for the "Instrument" object. 8. Create a new track in the Arrange window. 9. Drag the "Instrument" object to the track header. Basically, your external sequencer will play all notes on all channels on the "Instrument" track, the transformer will "listen" for the channel you specified and will filter out all other channels, so only the specific MIDI signal will play the soft synth. Let me know if it helps! Christian
  • Scottylad
    Thank you Christian, this sounds really promising! I'll give this a try tonight and let you know.
  • Scottylad
    Alas, that solution was not a complete success, but I feel I'm getting closer. Do you know of another way to accomplish this, or perhaps tweak this configuration further? Here are the issues: I've expanded this to receive multiple MIDI channels from Numerology 2. I play on MIDI channel 1, have a soft synth assigned and wish this track to play normally. Numerology receives all channels and outputs two arp sequences on channels 2 and 3, each assigned to a different instrument. I'd like to record all 3 channels and hear them all as I record. I created multiple instruments and transforms following your instructions, including for ch. 1. First, I can now hear each of tracks as I record, which is a great start! However... I receive intermittent popping, as if there is midi doubling occurring, or a timing glitch. My hardware is fine - this is not a performance or latency issue. This occurs regardless of which soft synths are used. To prove this I simply routed the MIDI out of Logic to Ableton live and recorded the MIDI channels (a breeze in Live, by the way, but I really want to use Logic for this). When I played the tracks within Ableton I receive the same popping (!), so the MIDI data is the issue. Doubling: Whichever track is selected during recording sounds louder, as if doubling is occurring. (Which tracks should be record-armed/selected during recording, the normal instrument track that outputs audio or the instrument track created from the environment? I've tried both.) However, the selection of track/channel seems to be crucial as... When recording not all tracks print their midi data at the end of the recording. The demix only occurs for two of the three channels, and arbitrary ones at that! Seems that Logic should handle this better - after all this is elementary MIDI and the apps of the 80's could handle this. Is there a difference between Logic 7 and Logic 8 in this regard? If you can help me overcome this and make this work I'll be forever in your debt!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: