macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rasydye
    move sample library to an external harddrive
    hello, i have the sample liberay of Motu Symphonic on my native drive now, i want to move it to my external hard drive to save space. do i need to change any path to make it work properly? or just drag it to the new place and drop it? teh sample liberary has been used in all the productions i have done and i really want to make sure my operation won't cause me any troubles. i will appreciate it so much if someone could enlighten me! many thanks in advance!! cx
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: move sample library to an external harddrive
    Hi cx, You can move the file "MSI.dat" to any location. This file I think contains all the sounds for your MOTU instrument. - You can find it here: Mac HD disk/Library/Application Support/MOTU/MSI - Now move it to any location (including an external drive) - Make an alias of the MSI.dat file (in it's new location): File > Make alias - Move the Alias to the [b]original location[/b] - Now when you restart Logic, the MOTU Symphonic library should still be referenced as normal. Cheers Rounik
  • Rasydye
    dear Rounik, thanks for your kind explanation. i tried but got stuck somehow. this is my situation: the original path of my MSI.dat was located at "Music"(the folder on the lower left hand side when opening finder), and a subfolder underneath which is called "sound library". what i found in the path you suggested, Mac HD disk/Library/Application Support/MOTU/MSI, is an alias to it. i think it was due to the way i installed it. i then moved MSI.dat to my external hard drive and deleted the original one under "music-sound library". i made an alias of MSI.dat at the new location and a new file called "MSI.dat alias" appeared under the same folder. i dragged this alias to the original location where the MSI.dat was on the native drive, "music-sound library". (should i delete the alias from its original folder after moving it?) these are what i did. i opened my Logic sessions, but the sound of Motu Symphony disappeared. i tried to restart the computer but it remained the same. i think there must be sth i missed during my operation, or sth i understand wrong. i will deeply appreciate your helps!!! best, cx
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi cx, You're almost there... I didn't realise you had done a customised install. Delete the alias in Mac HD disk/Library/Application Support/MOTU/MSI and in your music/sound library folder too! Go back to the external hard drive and create an alias of the MSI from scratch. Now move the alias to the path: Mac HD disk/Library/Application Support/MOTU/MSI Restart Logic and it should work now. btw, when you installed MSI to a customized location, Motu created an alias in the place it looks for the .dat file which points to where you placed it. So having an alias pointing at an alias pointing at the file isn't a good idea :) This way should work fine. Let me know. Rounik
  • Rasydye
    hi, Rounik, thanks a lot for you kind reply! i haven't made it by far. this is what i did: i deleted all alias files associated with MSI.dat, and made a new alias next to MSI.dat file on my external drive. (The MSI.dat file is now in a folder which also includes all logic studio sound and jampack. but they are in a dedicated folder, and MSI.dat is next to that folder) i then moved the alias to the path: Mac HD disk/Library/Application Support/MOTU/MSI now the alias is together with MSI.bundle and a folder called "MSI performances". i deleted the original alias from my external drive. i started logic again but still can not hear the sound. i also tried to restart the computer. all the deleted aliases and original MSI.dat file, which i deleted from my native drive after dragging a copy to the external drive, are now in the trash tan. i think they shouldn't effect. i will appreciate it very much if you could give me some more suggestions!!! should i prepare to re-install the whole thing as the worst preparation? will my files still be able to find the sound if so?many many thanks in advance!!! best, cx
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi cx, No problem. Sorry it's not working for you yet... but I have a couple of ideas. Let's try this one first :) Some plug-ins don't like the word "alias" in an alias!! Do what we did last time (.dat on external drive, create alias, move alias to original location...) Now, rename the alias file and take out the word "alias" from it. It should still show the little link arrow on the file icon. Restart your Mac, start Logic (make sure your external drive is connected first!) Any joy? If not, read on.... With some plug-ins, it's important to create an alias of the folder.... So the original location where MSI wanted to copy the .dat and other files to: Mac HD disk/Library/Application Support/MOTU/MSI I'm assuming the last MSI in the path is a folder, right? OK. Copy the MSI folder to your external drive and place the .dat file in the folder (on your external drive). Move the original MSI folder to your desktop. (backup) On External drive create an alias of the folder. Move the alias of the folder to the Original location. Restart Mac. Make sure ext drive is connected and start Logic. Any joy? If not... quit Logic and then rename the alias of the folder and remove the word 'alias'. Try Logic again.... any joy? Hope that helps. The important thing to do is make a clone of your system and / or backup your system before considering re-installing. Although the .dat file contains all the sounds within MSI, it does not contain any presets or Channel strip settings you've created. You can find these here: User/Library/Application Support/Logic/ Channel Strip settings/ and Plug-in settings/ Cheers Rounik
  • Rasydye
    hi,
  • Rounik Admin
    TO anyone reading this thread, sitting on the edge of their seats/sofas, wondering whether this was ever resolved cx (the Original Poster) posted the feedback here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=16925[/url] In the short the last suggestion worked :) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: