macProVideo.com
Forums
  • SixStringsDown
    Randomizing Regions
    Anyone know how to do this?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Randomizing Regions
    Hi Tieg, Can you explain in more detail what you would like to achieve? Thanks Rounik
  • SixStringsDown
    I'm creating ear training audio tracks. I've done a few so far. Then I went ahead and did something pretty drastic without realizing how I was then going to randomize it. I made every single possible interval within an octave from C0 to C7. Each interval is within it's own region. That comes out to over a thousand different regions. I've got them color coordinated, named and everything. If I can randomize the order of them somehow in the arrange window, I can export a number of different ear training tracks with these intervals. But because there are so many, it seems impossible to do it by hand without knowing some good selection tricks or, even better, how to just randomize the order of all the regions. Here's a screenshot of what I've got. I just need them all mixed up on a single track. [img]http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/106/l_eeaa5d26b0b14dfdb427281ea6c6d83d.png[/img] If there is any easy way to do this, that would be great to know because I have a bunch of different ear training tracks to make that I could use the technique on. I've bought every single macprovideo video on Logic. but I don't seem to recall learning a technique that would help me here. help is greatly appreciated. thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tieg, I don't think there is an easy way to have Logic do this for you automatically... I would consider packing regions into Folders and then moving them around. Have you checked out the use of Locators and the Cut and Insert Section commands (by default in the Toolbar)? Make sure you use locators to select the area to cut, and the playhead position to specify where you want Logic to insert the "cut" regions in. Let me know if this helps. Cheers Rounik
  • SixStringsDown
    As I already have each "sound clip" in it's own region, I don't really need to put them into folders. I've used folders for my other ear training files though and they definitely help. But not in this situation. And I'm not sure how Cut and Insert would help me here since I already have everything cut up. Are you talking about using this function in the future when I make things like this?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tieg, Cut and Insert Section would do something like this: example: 4 regions, each 2 bars. All next to each other. Set the locators over region no.2. click Cut Section. Region no.2 is cut and now the Arrange looks like: Region1 (bar 1-3) | Region 3 (bars 3-5) | Region 4 (bars 5-7) Now place the playhead at bar 5 1 1 1 and click on 'Insert Section' and Region2 will no be pasted at Bar 5-7 and region 4 will be shifted to Bar 7-9. If you have regions on multiple tracks, then cut and insert section will cut an insert whole sections of the Arrangement! Does that make sense? Well, I would take a screenshot, but I'm not near Logic right now :( - However, I don't think this method will help you.... I re-read your post, and see you want Logic to randomly position the regions on to one track... Unfortunately, AFAIK, Logic does not have a feature that can do this 100% automatically. However, there is one method I would use when manually moving regions randomly, but I would advise you to backup your project first to make sure you can return to it as it is if you decide to ;) - Set the Drag mode to 'Shuffle Left'. - Drag a region and drop it over or on top of another region on the same track. - It will be inserted to that position and all regions will shuffle to the left or right to accommodate it. Hope that helps :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: