macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Eddie
    Guitar in logic
    Hi all, I'm very happy to get away from my interface thread. Hopefully I'll be able to start vocal and live instuments soon. Anyway, my next real question is how happy the consensus is with logics guitar setup( I think it's called guitar rig) Maybe I'm getting that name from a third party option, but my question us based on what logic has to offer. Has anyone had success with direct input using only Logic 8's cabinets and effects WITH a pleasing result? Or should I still plan on just micing amps? Also, I own Logic 101,102 for ES2, and 204 for ultrabeat. Is this covered in 101 especially or anywhere else? Thanks a lot, Eddie
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Guitar in logic
    Hi Eddie, Logic's Guitar amp is called Guitar Amp Pro. Some people prefer the 3rd party plug-in called 'Guitar Rig'... but me, well, I think with a bit of tweaking (just like a real amp) you can get some very decent and useable sounds indeed from Guitar Amp Pro (GAP). It's not covered in any detail in the 101, ES2 or 204 tutorials, they either deal with the Core concepts of Logic or specific Instruments respectively. I would recommend hooking up your guitar, record enable the audio track, and insert the GAP plug-in on that Channel. Try out the presets. There are some useful ones depending on the type of tone you are after. One important point. If you mic up an amp and record into Logic, that track will always have that effect on it. If you record your guitar dry direct into Logic and use software effects, Logic will always record the dry sound of the guitar. This means you can tweak or completely change the effect plug-ins on the recorded audio later! At the end of the day, if you have found the perfect sound from your analog amp then do record it that way, but if you want more flexibility check out GAP and use Logic's plug-ins. One other trick to do with finding the right sound is to use more than one plug-in. Just like in the analog world we would connect a guitar to compressor to flanger to etc etc, you can do the same in Logic, and you can easily change the order of the plug-ins too :) OK. This is becoming a very long post, sorry! There is one tutorial called Logic's Plug-ins Unplugged: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logicPlugins1[/url] It is brilliant, and it covers GAP in video 23. Now, the disclaimer ;)... This video was created for Logic 7's plug-ins. Now one of the biggest changes between L7 and L8 is the interface. That applies for plug-ins too. IMHO the majority of plug-ins look the same/very similar. There are some, e.g. Multipressor that are quite different. Luckily, GAP looks and functions the same. To learn how the plug-ins work and how to use them this tutorial is a mine of information. Cheers Rounik
  • Eddie
    Thanks Rounik. I will experiment. I think I would enjoy that video but wonder about the interface difference. No chance it will be tweaked for L8 is there? Also, I'm guessing you can save your own custom patches. Am I right and does it cover it in that tutorial? Eddie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Eddie, Personally I wouldn't let the interface differences put me off if it was me. However, I completely understand that what's ok for me, may not be ok for new users. Accessing, creating and saving plug-in settings and channel strips settings are covered in the Logic 101 tutorial. The way you save a setting for a plug-in is universal between all of Logic's plug-ins.. The menu for plug-ins in Logic 7 and 8 looks a little different, but once you understand the process for saving presets and channel strip settings, that won't be an issue. I'd really recommend going through the Core Logic 8: Logic 101 tutorial first. You'll learn a lot(!) of info and techniques. IMHO Once you're more comfortable using and getting around Logic then start exploring the other tutorials... Hope you enjoy the tutorials, and of course if you have any questions... :) Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: