macProVideo.com
Forums
  • roberto
    randomize with trasform window
    Hallo everybody I'm working on randomizing selectively a composition and I use for this the transform window (logic 8), I choose "transposition" as preset and then I've two choices. 1-If I choose "random" for randomizing the pitch, everithing is clear. I set a range and inside this range the pitch of the notes will be randomized. 2- But if I set "+-random" I don't understand Logic's behaviour. The manual says that "a random value between zero and the set value (positive or negative) is added. mmh... first question: should I think the set value (say 3) as semitones? So if I have a C4 it might move up to maximum D#4 or down to A4? But if they are semitones, why if I set 1 nothing moves? It should move of one semitones, I'm I wrong? And what about negative value? Adding a negative value means to subtract (10+ -2=8). Or did I forget some mathematic? All the rest in life is very clear and sure (!!) Thank you for the attention and have a good life everybody Roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: randomize with trasform window
    Hi Roberto, Welcome to the forums :) Yes, if you set +/- Rand. to '1' Logic will not move the note to a different pitch! So, from my brief experiments I have found if you want to randomize within 3 semi tones you need to set he value to '4'.... However, when setting the Subtract Operation, it works as it should. Setting a value of 1 will move the note from C4 to B3, a value to '3' will move the note from C4 to A3, etc... I hope that helps :) Thanks Rounik
  • roberto
    Thanks Rounik for your time still something doesn'work as you say. Ok for the first part: I need to set 2 if I want a random change of a semitone. It means that logic starts to count from 1 and not from 0. OK But if I set negative values it doesn't work as you describe. If I set, say, -3 it can go up or down of max 2 semitons. I work with Logic 8.0.0. Is it a kind of bug or what? or am I making any mistake? but the operation is so simple that I don't see where could I do wrong: presets: trasposition status: = note pitch: +-random mode: apply operation to select events than I select the notes and clic operate only. Any thing wrong? thank you for your patience Roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Roberto, Yes, you're correct. It seems then that +1 and -1 in the +/- Rand setting is counted as 0. I'm not sure if that's a bug or an oversight or perhaps it was intended?... Either way, at least we now know that +1 or -1 acts as 0 in this case. By the way, I would recommend updating Logic to 8.0.2. It won't fix this issue but it is more stable in my experience and allows you to hide the Transport at the bottom of the interface :) Cheers Rounik
  • roberto
    Rounik, if I update to 8.0.2 what will happen to all my key comands? I've a very personal setting of them (coming from Final cut) an it works wonderfully. I've saved it in a HD so should be enough to load it? Is it sure? I would panic if I sould do everything again. what do you think about, even because my version works perfectly anyway. Ãnd, excuse me if I insist, what about the fact that if I give -5 (or -whatever) it can go up OR down? maybe I've to think the negative values of " +-random" as REALLY a plus or minus range? I mean: whatever negative value I'll set, it will encrease OR decrease the pitch inside that random range. Sorry again for my insistence, but the work I'm doing needs a great precision in randomizing (wich could sound as a paradox, but that is). thanks Roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:9971]Rounik, if I update to 8.0.2 what will happen to all my key comands? I've a very personal setting of them (coming from Final cut) an it works wonderfully. I've saved it in a HD so should be enough to load it? Is it sure? I would panic if I sould do everything again. what do you think about, even because my version works perfectly anyway. [/quote] Hey Roberto, If you are happy with Logic 8.0.0 and you experience no problems at all then it's completely up to you if you update or not. A few tips: - Never Update software mid project!!! - Clone and backup your entire system drive regularly. An app like Carbon Copy Cloner (free) is very useful. - In Logic go to the Key Commands Window (Option-K) and choose Options > Export key commands... (you have now saved your key commands. By default they are saved to: User/Library/Application Support/Logic /Key Commands/ - You will find your custom effect and instrument settings and channel strip settings there too. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! At least not until your projects are finished and you have backed up all important data :) [quote:9971]�nd, excuse me if I insist, what about the fact that if I give -5 (or -whatever) it can go up OR down? maybe I've to think the negative values of " +-random" as REALLY a plus or minus range? I mean: whatever negative value I'll set, it will encrease OR decrease the pitch inside that random range. Sorry again for my insistence, but the work I'm doing needs a great precision in randomizing (wich could sound as a paradox, but that is). thanks Roberto[/quote] Indeed, some of the best things in life are made from paradoxes ;) In this case, it may be a bug or oversight that the negative value will have the same effect as the positive value in +/- Rand. Is that what you mean? Thanks Rounik
  • roberto
    Yes Rounik, must be a kind of buggish stuff. well...nobody is perfect! About updating I'll think about. Thank you for your help, was precious. good work to you and, above all, have a good life Roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem Roberto! Same for you too :) btw, talking about 'randomization' you might be interested in the Randomizer Cameo tutorial for March's edition of the TNT2 series? & anytime you have a question, don't hesitate to pop back to the forums! Take care, Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: