macProVideo.com
Forums
  • sus4
    Splitting a drum part
    Is this possible? I put the bass drum, snare and cymbal all on one track just as a guide. Can I take that track, b.d, snare, cym, and put them all on a separate track? This way I'll end up with 3 separate percussion tracks. I'm using LE8 Thanks Peter
  • Ellis
    Re: Splitting a drum part
    Region>Split/Demix>Demix by note pitch
  • sus4
    Ellis Fantastic! Thanks for your reply.
  • sus4
    My drum track is all split up as per your suggestion and that's good, but when I go into the mixer I only see my original drum track, with everything on it. I want to see all the drum tracks in the mixer so I can adjust the volume on each track. Kick, snare, cym. etc. How would I do that? Thanks
  • Bj
    Hi Peter, To have Volume Control as you desire over your Drum Parts they will need to be on Individual Tracks. As you have discovered, the " Region>Split/Demix>Demix by note pitch " does not create new individual tracks.... If you are using Ultra Beat you can create a Multi Output version and assign the Drum Parts to Aux Channels thus giving you Individual Control over each part... Hope this helps, Cheers, Bj
  • sus4
    BJ, thanks for the reply. I'm not using Ultrabeat. I would think there's got to be a way of making all the individual parts individual tracks? Or do I just have to start over and re-record all the drum parts on separate tracks? Since I used Split/Demix>Demix by Note Pitch, is there another setting like this that will do the same thing, but put each part on individual tracks? Thanks Peter
  • Bj
    Hi Peter, Should be no reason to 'Start Over'... By the way, what have you used to create your Drums? If it is a Software Instrument Track... in Logic's Arrange Window, go to Track, select ' New with Duplicate Setting ' ( command D ) and do this for each part you have... for example one for Snare, one for Kick, etc... Now copy over the drum part in full onto the new Tracks and Mute the notes that are not relevent leaving only the Notes you want on the New Tracks. In other words... on the Kick Track, Mute everything that is not Kick... on the Snare, Mute everything that is not Snare, and so on... Not sure if this is the ideal way, but it should give you the control you seek... Hope this helps... Cheers, Bj
  • Cajypiu
    Kia Ora, another way of doing this would be to create external MIDI tracks and cable them to the software instrument with your drums on. The individual MIDI channels can then be used for volume control etc. There isn't a keyboard shortcut that I'm aware of to split and mux your channels in the way you describe, but you could cable something together to do this in your autoload's environment if it's a thing you'll know you want in the future ;)
  • sus4
    BJ That way seems pretty simple. The only problem is how do I mute all the notes except the ones I want on each track? Do I do it in the Score window, the Piano Roll window, where? Is there a setting for this procedure? Many years ago when I was using an early version of Cakewalk on a PC I would type in the notes that I didn't want and it would delete all those notes except the ones I wanted. I would do this on all the tracks and it worked good. There should be a way of doing that in Logic too. By the way, I'm using the drums within the arrange window of Logic. Kia Ora, I appreciated your response, but I don't understand your procedure. It sounds a little complicated. Could you explain it in more detail? Thanks, Peter
  • Bj
    Hi Peter, To Mute the Parts you don't want, go to the Piano Roll Window and Click on those notes with the Mute Tool... You could just delete them... but Muting them is safer until you are satisfied with what you are doing... Once happy feel free to delete... Still don't know which Instrument you have used to create your Drum Parts with...? HTH Cheers, Bj
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: