macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JROD
    Why is my file so huge
    Hi All, I've a composition that has grown to 6.2 GB's. (I got this number by clicking on the project folder in my finder. The actual composition comes in at 1.6 MB so I cannot understand how the project folder could show such a huge number. I deleted all the unused tracks. I found 20 "backups" in the project back up folder and deleted 19 of them and yet I still show a figure of 6.2 GB's. How can that be? JRod
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Why is my file so huge
    Hi JRod :) Audio Files can be big creatures! Remember if you are saving the Sampler Instrument files and the samples too these can be very big as well! It's important to remember in Logic a region is NOT an audio file and vice versa. I say this because you can use one audio file hundreds of times in your project and the size of your project will not be much bigger than the audio file and the project file. The number of track, regions etc in your project don't make for a large project. The number of audio files you have imported into your project (whether in use or not) do. The .logic file is essentially a reference file that tells logic where to find this and that audio file, SI, MIDI region etc... The backups will also not be very big. One tip, in the Finder to see the size of a file or folder either: - Use Column view mode and single click an item and you will see it's size or - Select an item and choose File > Get Info (Command-I) In your previous thread I suggested selecting unused audio files and deleting them in the Audio Bin. Another option is to consider the sample rate you are recording at. Audio recorded at 88.2 Khz will be about twice the size of 44.1 khz audio files. Do check that you haven't saved complete sample sets to your project folder too. This will be useful if you have created your own EXS24 Sample Instruments that another user doesn't have and you want to transfer your project to him/her... if not it can take a massive amount of room. What about 'takes'. Imagine you have 10 Audio tracks and each track has 10 takes...! Consider bouncing tracks to a single audio file when you are happy with them. Import those files into a new project. Cheers Rounik
  • JROD
    Hi Rounik, I have one drum track, three electric guitars, one harmonica, and two vocal tracks. That's it. The .logic file is only 1.8 MB's. I don't know what else to delete at this point. I deleted all the backups and all the "unused files' in the audio bin. Nothing else that I've composed comes anywhere close to this file size. I think something is wacky with this one. I'm tempted to start a new project and redo the song from scratch. But I just can't figure this sucker out. I did do some comp swiping but not much... JRod
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jared, The .logic file is a reference file, telling Logic where the big files (audio files) should be (as regions) in your project... as well as many other settings etc. So it no surprise the .logic file is small and the other files are large. Are you sure you have looked in the project folder and located the big files. Make sure when deleting the unused files you follow my previous instructions to the letter. If you delete them using the backspace key they will not be deleted from the folder, just from the view of the Bin in Logic. Cheers Rounik
  • JROD
    Hi Rounik, Perhaps the problem is the "multiple takes." You suggest bouncing them to a "single audio file and then transferring them to another project." I will try to do that. I'm not really sure of the steps and may have to return with more questions... I know how to bounce but I haven't bounced to another Logic project. I appreciate your help. JRod
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jrod Bouncing for another project is the same as Bouncing for this project... You can choose to bounce the files to another folder if you wish or keep it within the existing project folder. It's up to you. Once done, Create a new project and Open the Bin and import all the audio files into our project. Se the projects sample rate and tempo to match the previous project and you're done. By the way, have you checked out the Logic 8: Core Logic 101 tutorial? [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic8101[/url] It's very good :) But of course, whether you have it or not, feel free to ask any questions here! Cheers Rounik
  • JROD
    Hi Rounik, I have that tutorial and will pull it out to review it... I forget more than I remember... I'll review the tutorial and review your instructions and hopefully, I'll get this song shipped off to my bass player in Tuscon. JRod
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: