macProVideo.com
Forums
  • youngeddie
    More tips on acoustic recording
    Hello Steve H. First, I love your teaching style. I always look forward to your next tutorial. I would love to hear more about recording acoustic music. That's all I do, and it would be great to get more of your insight and expertise in that area. Keep up the good work! Eddie P.S. I heard you speak on the EM Podcast. Very nice!
  • Cajypiu
    Re: More tips on acoustic recording
    Hi Eddie, what kind of instruments do you record? In what kind of environments? What kind of mics do you have at your disposal? Do you have reference tracks you try to emulate and how do you current recordings/ mixes compare? I too would like to just climb inside Steve's brain and swim for a bit but I'm not too sure how much Steve would like that. Probably only enough room for Igor, but, we can see what the others around here have to say on the topic... whilst we wait for Steve to add recording to his ever expanding tutorial to do list :)
  • youngeddie
    Hi YADJ, I record World Music (actually a kind of music call Kirtan, which is Indian devotional music for chanting and meditating) and sometimes Jazz. This is a link to my music and studio at: http://eddieyoung.com/ That will tell you about my microphones and stuff. Thanks, Eddie
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Eddie, good link! I like the samples up there too sounds like you're already getting some good recordings. The one thing I couldn't find was what kind of pre-amps you're using though. I'm geeky I know, but I'm a fan of outboard as well as software toys! The good thing about world music and meditating stuff from a production point of view is that you can go pretty wild in the experimental side of things. From the recording point of view, you can mic performances traditionally, you know, pointing mics at bridges of Cellos and guitars, pianos being mic'd from 2 meters away at head height in a stereo pair.... but you can also play with contact or boundary microphones put on the floor, or on the body of the instrument itself for an 'inside' sound. You can also get very experimental with re-amping your recordings and aiming the amps at gongs or piano strings and get all kinds of shimmering reverbs. Layer that as a bed under your recordings and you have something unearthly, but musically sympathetic. There was a group called Ravi Harris and the prophets and Ravi himself was a sitar man but he did indian funk versions of lots of James Brown stuff, amongst other things. I wouldn't say he was extremely experimental with the sounds but the vibe of the sound he got was very good. There's another indian chap who's name escapes me right now, but he did all kinds of cool stuff.... I'll dig it out and re-post with his name. Whilst I remember, the results you get from using two mics can change things quite a bit too depending on where you position them. Taking advantage of the phase relationships between the two is what it's all about! If you can give examples of what you're trying to achieve I can hunt around a bit more for you if you like?
  • youngeddie
    Hi YADJ, Thanks for your input. I think you've got some pretty good ideas about mics and such. I'll also look up Ravi Harris and the Prophets. That sounds like it's right up my alley. Regarding my pre-amps, I've got a Presonus Digimax LT (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/PreSonus/DIGIMAXLT/) And I borrowed a friends DBX 386 Dual Vacuum Tube Pre-Amp w/ Digital Outs, but it has distortion sometimes. It might be because I stacked them. They really get hot when I'm using both Pre-Amps. So, I just stopped using the DBX. I'm including a picture to show you my set up. I'm made around 10 all acoustic CDs that are out there in the world, and a half dozen more that are in some stage of development at the moment. What I was hoping to get from Steve H. is a little more about working with Logic to get audio straight from the microphone. Also, more about compression and EQ etc. to make what I'm getting sound the best it can be. Thanks for your help! Eddie
  • youngeddie
    Here are those pictures... Eddie [img]http://thelightbulbfactory.com/clients/artwork/[/img]
  • youngeddie
    http://thelightbulbfactory.com/clients/artwork/
  • Kevin Allemann
    Hello Eddie I realize it has been a while since your last posting but I was wondering if you had heard back from others (maybe Steve H?) about acoustic recording (and mic-ing) within Logic although from the sound of your recording you really don't need help as they sound great as is. I am just struggling to get my acoustic guitar recordings to not sound dull, so far have not been successful. fyi - I am currently using a stereo combination of a condenser mic (BEHRINGER B1) and a pickup (BAGGS M1 ACTIVE) in the guitar sound hole. KEvin
  • GaryHiebner
    Hi Kevin, Have a look at our latest SongCraft tutorial: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/dubway-sessions-songcraft-producing-lauren-balthrop[/url] There are some great tips on recording and mixing acoustic guitars in the tutorials. And you will learn some great songwriting tips from the producer and musicians as well.
  • Ben Arthur (SongCraft)
    Thanks for the recommendation, Gary! If anyone has any questions or thoughts, lemme know. (Also, btw, there's two more weeks for the remix contest, with some great plugs by McDSP as the prize for best remix!)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: