macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bob C
    Bouncing after a Mix
    I just finished going through the 401 series on mastering (really enjoyed it)....I've gone through the two mixing videos, but I haven't seen anything that focused on preparing the mix for the bounce other than mixing.... Is there something on that? Is there a difference? Also, once a mix is done, it appears we bounce it for mastering...all well and good, but we then add compression and EQ again while mastering. It seems that this process might create unwanted artifacts? Is it possible to go to far in this process...I'm guessing yes...if we mix right, is it always necessary to add EQ, compression, and limiters again? And...Steve's neat trick for adding some extra sizzle with gain automation...couldn't one do that in the mix process and get the same results? (Just trying to understand....) There's materials out there like the "Apple Pro Training" etc., but it seems to me the explanations here are helping me connect the dots. :-) Also, may I presume, that mastering should be done in the waveburner now that we have one? (Not too long ago, it wasn't available in the box) It helps rookies, like me to have some of the little details discussed in one place.... Thoughts? I appreciate the help. Bob C
  • Lincoln
    Re: Bouncing after a Mix
    Its not an easy answer. I do a little of both. I tend to add a little comp while mixing just to mix against a compressor then bounce it full (ie: no dither/sample rate conversion) and redo the whole deal. The trick for me is to keep it very light in the compressor during mixing because compressors are multiplicative as opposed to additave meaning a 3:1 during mixing and a 3:1 during mastering will give you 9:1, not 6:1 so you need to be careful. You could do the gain staging during mixdown if it makes you happy I really don't see why it would matter but for me its not something I focus on during mixing. As far as the difference between Logic and Waveburner its a pick you poison situation. I prefer Logic because I am more familiar with it. P.S. the Mastering video is awesome!
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, one thing to note about riding the gain during mixing is that when you are compressing/ limiting during mastering, you are reducing the dynamic range thus squashing the loudness variances... and will lose the impact of the quieter verse, louder chorus riding.... but you can still do it during mixing, if you are using a buss compressor. You obviously have to commit to that use of compression and as Lincoln said, compression is multiplied not added hence why most mastering houses prefer you to leave off any compression when mixing so they can do it properly. It is a tough call though. Ideally speaking, if you mix it right, you barely need to touch it during mastering. Mastering then just becomes arranging the tracks, if you are working with more than one, to put on to a CD... and matching the vibe amongst the songs so they sound that they are from the same album.... tuning common elements etc. That and fading songs in and out and putting ideal pauses between each track. As Steve said in his videos, mastering is the final final process before tracks get sent off to a CD production house and they have to be formatted properly and have all of the details required for the engineers to print that CD. Making sure the files don't clip AT ALL meeting the min specifications for printing tolerances. Mastering has also progressed in to being able to radically change the sound of a track through compression and EQ and because mastering engineers generally have far superior convertors and playback environments, they are able to make better decisions about critical aspects of the song with respect the bass energy and distortion to name just two.
  • Bob C
    Hello, I appreciate the input. So...what Wave Burner does is Mastering, right? That is, if one chooses to do so, one can bounce the mixed tracks with all of the bells and whistles, and then can take the bounced tracks and format them, as it were, for the print...or duplication process in Wave Burner. It also appears...based on comment, that one can bounce the tracks to the appropriate files and simple load them onto a master CD for duplications process. That said...if one wishes, he or she can add a little here and a little there to get the tracks to match up on the CD using the Wave Burner...basically getting the levels even??? Love the tutorials...trying to figure it out... Thanks, Bob C
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Bob, precisely :) There's no right or wrong way to do something. WaveBurner was specifically designed for mastering and is RedBook compliant (necessary format for CD pressing). I think this is also where it gets a bit confusing as these days, an individual has access to software that can take him/ her from audio sketch pad right through to digital mastering. Normally speaking there are different people involved in the process... and quite often for good reason as each person has their own strengths they can add to the process. How about trying this for a workflow and seeing where it gets you. Logic for creating and mixing.... leaving compression off the output bus. Mastering of all tracks left for Waveburner. The only rule I would say this wouldn't work is if you wanted to stem master (where you don't work on just the one stereo track per song, but several (drums, bass, guitar, vox) for example. Alternatively, do all the mixing yourself and hand over to someone else to do the master!
  • Bob C
    One more question on this...to make sure I get this right. So...when bouncing in Logic, if one wants to master it as one bounces, use the master plugins. Then use waveburner to organize the CD. Or...as a rule, don't use the master settings when bouncing, and then do all of the plugins etc., in waverburner. So...is that right?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Bob It's up to you. You can apply all mastering in Logic if you wish and then organize the track(s) in Waveburner and set up for CD. Alternatively, you can bounce your mixes from Logic (without doing the mastering process) and then master your track(s) in Waveburner... IMHO, it's more a question of finding your preferred workflow. There's absolutely no reason that you MUST master your tracks in Waveburner. Producers have been mastering in Logic for years ;-) HTH Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: