macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Xyzefiy
    Cannot Bounce without huge pops in the audio
    Hi everyone, I am working on a piece that uses a lot of Vienna Software instruments. I've finished the piece and want to bounce it for mastering, but the piece always pops big time during bouncing (and often during playback as well) ruining the bounce. My Vienna Ins are stored on a firewire Harddrive which is connected to hub which my Audio interface and another external Hard drive are also connected to. So I was wondering if this is a latency issue. But if that's the case what should I do As my Macbook pro only has 1 firewire Port. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Bj
    Re: Cannot Bounce without huge pops in the audio
    Hi I Like Cynic, If you are not already, try Bouncing in Real Time... Sometimes longer, more complex/ lots of Plug Ins / cpu intensive pieces do not respond well to Off Line Bouncing... Hope this Helps, Cheers, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    If the pops occur during playback then you need to try one or more of the following: - increase I/O Buffer Size: Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio - Freeze tracks - Bounce some 'CPU heavy" tracks to audio. - Make sure no other apps are running in the background! - If you're already bouncing in real time, also try bouncing off line. (Bj is correct too, but different bounce modes can solve the solution with a different root cause). Cheers Rounik
  • Xyzefiy
    thanks lads. will try these out tonight. I didn't think about changing buffer size. I tried bouncing in realtime and unfortunately the same thing occured. regarding freezing files, if I get the problem during playback does that not mean the freeze file will have the same issue? also quality wise are freezefiles ok? there's no loss in audio quality? I thought about bouncing in pieces. but it's such a pain!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John I'd check your I/O Buffer size. That is usually the culprit. But do check the CPU meter in the Transport as that will usually give you an indication of whether Logic is struggling during playback etc. Remember that a low value reduces latency, but eats more processing power, and thus can cause stutters and pops etc. A high value is kinder on your CPU, but increases latency. So low buffer size = great for recording. High Buffer size = great for mixing (using lots of plug-ins) Freeze files are bounced internally at Logic's 32 bit floating point resolution. So, actually they will be the same quality as everything you hear in Logic. If you bounce the files to 24 bit, in theory you may be losing a slight amount of quality. When Freezing, set the end point of the Project, to ensure Logic doesn't bounce to Bar 160 if your composition ends at Bar 90 for example. Generally, bounce offline. Bounce in realtime if: - you want to listen back to what is being bounced. - you have realtime objects in the environment (e.g. Arpeggiators, delay lines, etc connected directly to a channel strip) But, there are a couple of plugins that appreciate bouncing in real time as Bj rightly says! Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, still kind of strange that the clicks and pops occur during an offline bounce. The only time I have had something similar was using PSP's vintage warmer. If I put it on a track, it would click just before a region was about to play on that track. Very strange. I think it was a lookahead feature in the end but the only way I could resolve it was to use a 'lite' version of it as it was documented on their website.
  • Xyzefiy
    alright lads? changing the buffer size seems to have done the trick. nice one!! some really good advice on this thread. thanks all.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: