macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ben
    401 Mastering - Some thoughts
    It's been long.. Shame on me. Just finished watching Logic 401 on Mastering. Well done Steve. I missed one thing though. I realize this tutorial was about Mastering and not composing in Logic, but what I was missing is an explanation on how to balance the separate tracks and not an already mixed result. I'll give you a practical example: I'm working on a cue at the moment. It has many different soft instruments. I'm clipping like a maniac (over 6db), but if I take the output level down to under 0db it sounds very weak and boosting the output is like watching a B movie about spiders so huge they eat humans. It sounds silly and unrealistic.. you start loosing details. So something tells me I need to work the individual tracks and balance those. What would be nice (for me at least) is showing us a project with and how you go about it with volume levels from the start so that you don't end up with an imbalanced project. I'm not sure whether I am clear. I guess what I'm asking for is a TNT month on mixing :) Or have you already done that? if so where? I loved 401 and learned much from it. You really can hear clearly enough the sound of distortion in the dithering chapter, even when you add pink noise, but I thought it was a good demonstration. Thank u, Ben ps. 139.89 BPM? How did that happen to your song?
  • Ben
    Re: 401 Mastering - Some thoughts
    One other thing.. There was a brief mention that music for TV is mixed to sound pretty much mono. Could you possibly share some more tips on writing for TV?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Ben It sounds like you are really talking about the Mixing stage... That's when most people would balance levels, panning, reverb etc, maybe a bit of compression there too to provide the boost you refer to. Cheers Rounik
  • Ben
    I imagine it is. Just thought Steve might have some helpful guidelines how not to get in trouble and keep the project clean.
  • Rounik Admin
    Sure! I'm sure Steve H has some amazing tips and tricks for the mixing stage... Have you checked out the Logic 403 and 404 Mixing series tutorials. You may find them very interesting: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic403[/url] [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/prodElectro[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • Ben
    Thanks, I'll take a look!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: