macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MarkDub
    Audio track + beat-mapped grid
    I have a song with a beat-mapped grid. I want to copy an audio track from one section and put it into another one. The audio track was recorded live over the beat-mapped tempo via the click. Obviously the section that I want to place the copy of that track over is beat-mapped slightly differently, although it is a later part of the same sequence and therefore the same pattern musically. So the copy doesn't play in sync over it because it was recorded over the earlier section and conforms to the beat-mapping of that earlier section. I hope that's clear. My question is how do I quantize the audio file copy so that it will play properly over the new section, or is there a better way of doing this? Does quantizing an audio file in the normal way make it conform to the tempo shifts of a beat-mapped grid? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Audio track + beat-mapped grid
    Hi Mark, I'm tempted to suggest recording the part again to save you extra hassle... What kind of material is the audio region that you wish to move? Monophonic, polyphonic? Would it be easy for you to use Strip silence and manually move the different sections of the audio region to fit to the grid? Thanks Rounik
  • MarkDub
    Hi Rounik and thank you very much for your reply. Yes I could re-record it but I was hoping to avoid that. Also, I am interested in improving my knowledge and this sort of thing crops up for me from time to time so I would like to discover an effective way of doing it. The material is probably monophonic but it is not a single line (a contradiction I know). It is a rhythmic, fairly staccato electric guitar part using octaves, so there are two notes at once. Now that you say it Strip Silence might work given it is fairly percussive so there are distinct breaks between each chop or 'hit'. I didn't think of it because I haven't used it before! I will definitely try that. On the other hand, given how I've described the part, do you think quantizing it could work? I presume once a region/file is quantized it automatically plays in time with the grid rather than to an absolute fixed tempo? I appreciate your help with this. Mark
  • MarkDub
    Hello again Rounik. I just wanted to say that I tried what you suggested and used Strip Silence on the track. I then quantized the individual regions collectively and with a few subsequent manual adjustments to their positions relative to each other, the overall track fitted the grid really well and now plays back in time with the rest of the song. Just in case anyone else is interested in learning about this process. Thank you very much again for your help. Mark
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mark, Glad it's worked for you! I've never really tried strip silence on anything other than drums or purely rhythmic material - where it tends to work well. Thanks for posting back the feedback :) Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: