macProVideo.com
Forums
  • sus4
    Saving a midi file
    I have a Yamaha keyboard that plays midi files. I want to transfer a midi file in LE8 to my keyboard via USB. How would I go about this? I've transfered midi files that people gave me to my keyboard but, not from LE8. Thanks, Peter
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Saving a midi file
    Hi Peter, Exporting a MIDI region as a MIDI file from Logic can be done like this: Select the region in Logic's Arrange area. Choose: File > Export > Selection as MIDI file... Thanks Rounik
  • sus4
    Rounik, I did that. File>Export>Selection as Midi file>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music>Save, but I don't see it in iTunes. Is that correct? Do I have to restart my computer to see it? Peter
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Peter, Where are you following the: "file>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music>Save" menu command??? If I export a MIDI file as explained above I can then manually drag it into a playlist of my choice in iTunes. Out of interest why do you want to play it in iTunes? I thought you wanted to transfer it to your Keyboard... Thanks Rounik
  • sus4
    I do want to transfer it to my keyboard. I thought it was supposed to go into iTunes, then drag it to my thumb drive and then insert my thumb drive into my keyboard. If that's wrong how do I get the midi file onto my thumb drive. Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Peter, By "thumb drive" do you mean a USB stick? It's not wrong as such, but there is an easier way: Save the MIDI file to a folder of your choice. Connect the thumb drive to your Mac. Open a Finder window. Navigate to where you saved the MIDI file and drag it on to your thumb drive. If your Yamaha Keyboard manual recommends a different way, then do let me know what it suggests. HTH Rounik
  • sus4
    Yes, the thumb drive is a USB stick. So, can I just save the file to my desktop and drag the icon into the thumb drive? Is this the correct path? Open LE8, choose the midi song, go to File>Save as>Desktop and drag the file from my desktop into my thumb drive. thanks Peter
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Peter, Yes, you can save it to any folder on your Mac including your desktop. Then drag it onto your Thumb drive. Here is the method: 1. Open Logic 2. Open the Project containing the MIDI region you want to export. 3. Select the MIDI region. 4. Choose: File > Export > Selection as MIDI file... 5. Open a Finder window. 6. Navigate to the folder on your Mac where you saved the MIDI file. 7. Drag and drop it on to the Thumb Drive. Thanks Rounik
  • sus4
    Hi Rounik Thanks for all your help. I will try it today. Peter
  • sus4
    Hi Rounik Well it didn't work. I remember when I was using a PC and Cakewalk I would have to convert the midi file to I believe a Format 1. Then it could be played. I think the same thing has to happen here, I think it has to be converted some way. When I put the USB thumb drive in my keyboard, it didn't see the midi file. Looking in the manual, I didn't see anything that mentions Format 1 or 2 or anything about converting it. I'll keep searching. Maybe you or some else would know. Thanks Peter
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: