macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Gorynui
    Pitch shifting male voice into female (spoken)
    Hi folks. I'm trying to create a somewhat realistic sounding 60 year woman's spoken voice from a 35 year male actor's voice. I've been using the Digital Factory, trying to tweak the Transposition and Harmonics settings to find the exact area, but it's not coming out very authentic. My initial attempts have been to barely increase the pitch of the transposing, while greatly increasing the harmonics. Anyone ever done something similar?
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Pitch shifting male voice into female (spoken)
    Hi Sammy, for that kind of thing pitch shifting along won't cut it. As you have found out you will need to play around with formants/ harmonics. The vocal transformer in Logic or GarageBand will be the Apple ticket to try. There are better pieces of 3rd party software out there such as Izotope's offering, Melodyne and even Ableton Live is pretty trick at a few things. Feel free to experiment with algorithms too as they have a huge impact on how they treat the audio signal being processed, although, with things like the vocal transformer they are geared specifically to treat the human voice.
  • Gorynui
    Re: Pitch shifting male voice into female (spoken)
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by experimenting with the algorithms...
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Pitch shifting male voice into...
    Hi Sammy, different pitch/ time shifting algorithms exist because there is no one size fits all adjustment. For example, if you have just a drum track, no bass, no vocals only drums.... you actually have quite a bit of 'silence' in between each drum hit. Therefore, a drum time stretching 'algorithm' isn't optimised to get the best results for long continuous sounds such as a pad. Likewise, a time stretching algorithm that gets the best results for a long continuous sound won't necessarily give you the best results for a drum loop. There are no hard and set rules, you just have to play around! I've pasted the pull down menu from Logic's time and pitch machine so you can see the algorithm options. Cheers, j [img]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3686/picture1sbo.png[/img]
  • Gorynui
    Thanks for this.
  • Cajypiu
    No probs
  • stirfry2112
    There is also a vocal transformer type plugin in logic that works ok, but I too have never been able to successfully turn a male spoken voice into a female. If you achieve success, I'd love to hear how you did it!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: