macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ben
    Kontakt Multi Individual Volume Work-through
    My dear friends, This may be obvious to some of you, but it was not for me, and therefore may be unclear to others. This is how I created a Kontakt multi instruments and managed to control the volume, panning and other controls on the individual instruments: 1. I created a new soft inst multi 2. assigned kontakt 16 stereo out to it. 3. assigned in kontakt the different output channels 4. added Aux channels in the mixer Now, leave the volume in Logic alone. You will notice, if you try to use it, that it only has affect on the first instrument instance and only on the global volume control of Kontakt, but we want to change the volume WITHIN kontakt through automation on the individual channels/instances. to do that: 5. In kontakt click on the auto tab - Midi Automation Here is a list of midi controllers that can be assigned to any knob or fader within Kontakt. Select, for instance, cc 0 and drag and drop it onto the first instrument's volume fader. 6. open the corresponding channel piano roll in Logic and open the automation view. There do NOT use volume to automate your instrument's volume. Remember, it only affects the global volume of the channel (ie Kontakt) click on the small arrow on the left and select "other..." 7. select channel 0 and write your automation Voila. Hope this helps who ever googles it. Hi Rounik, long time no chat :) Am I stating the obvious?
  • Ben
    Re: Kontakt Multi Individual Volume Work-through
    However! Second day into my solution and I have just one problem. So, if we open, say, a completely new project and add a multi instrument, it adds different channels on the environment, but if you open the mixer, you have only one channel called inst1 and when you add Kontakt multi-output on it you can add Aux channels. It adds 15 Aux channels, which makes sense because the original channel is assigned to the first channel of Kontakt. HOWEVER!! that channel's output affects ALL of the Aux channels and cannot be individually routed. In other words, Channel 1 (the original) has it's output change the output of the Kontakt instrument as a whole, while the Aux channels' outputs can SEPARATELY be routed to your desired buses. It is crucial to be able to route the kontakt outputs to different buses to add effects or mix. So the question is - How do I get that Aux 1 channel of kontakt. I'm not interested to work on channel 1 as it affects ALL of kontakt. Any ideas?
  • Ben
    OK, so the problem was in creating a multi instrument wen you create a new instrument as apposed to creating it in the midi inst panel.
  • Ben
    This is funny. I think by replying to my own thread I started developing split personality. Anyway, I'm afraid I have to go back to my former statement. Unless someone can tell me how to do it differently, the first channel of the 16 stereo outputs of kontakt is controlled not by an Aux channel, but by the original instrument channel, and therefore you cannot add an effect on that channel without affecting all of the instruments loaded into kontakt, and that are sent to different channels. What that means is that you not only have 15 usable stereo outs, but you have to always avoid using the main output, and that by itself is annoying. Prove me wrong, PLEASE
  • Ben
    No ideas anyone? :)
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:84203]This is funny. I think by replying to my own thread I started developing split personality. [/quote] LOL! I was just telling myself that both your posts have been very interesting to read through! [quote:84203] What that means is that you not only have 15 usable stereo outs, but you have to always avoid using the main output, and that by itself is annoying. Prove me wrong, PLEASE[/quote] I think you are unfortunately correct... However, I've had a thought (which I am about to test at this moment). First is it possible for you to control the level of part 1 (Channel 1) from within Kontakt and leave the channel strip's level meter untouched? OK. I've just tested this out and it works well: 1. Do exactly what you are doing above. 2. Now on the Kontakt Channel strip in the Mixer either a - route the output of the CS to an empty Bus, e.g. BUS 10 or b - set outpur to No output and send to BUS 10 for example. 3. A new Aux channel strip is created wth the input of BUS 10... this is your 16th channel ;) Hope this helps, Rounik
  • Ben
    Yay, it's cumbersome, makes little sense, time consuming and a pain in the S, but it works! Seriously, how many years did those guys have to develop this soft? Kontakt exists for years already. Not to mention auto save... don't get me started on that! :) As always man, your beer count keeps on growing. By the time I visit London you will have enough to open your own business :) So to all frustrated composers who had the same problem and were looking for a solution -THIS IS THE ONLY SOLUTION. Scary, I know...
  • dynamicalan
    I have this same problem. I have set up the aux tracks and assigned them to the Kontakt 5 instrument but they will not work through the other outputs unless they are soloed. When you take the solo off only output 1 works. Thanks, Alan
  • GaryHiebner
    That is strange that it only works when the channel strip is soloed. What version of Logic are you using? And you create a multi-instrument, and assigned Kontakt to this?
  • dynamicalan
    Hello, I use Logic 8.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: