macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Express
    Recording vocals on Logic Express
    Hi guys, I am kinda new to Logic Express and have been working on some tracks which Ive kinda finished but VOCALS are proving to be a night mare for me. So stressed out! Each time I copy and paste a chorus vocal take for example, Chorus one copying the same take and making theat chorus two...The vocals seem to move in the time frame and are completely out. I try make sure that one vocal bar is only high lighted so that Im not moving a group of bars and even at that I still seem to stumble upon the next part of the song and the tracks have moved???? Then I also had a problem with effects, I used an EQ on an intro vocal to make it reverbed and a few other things, I used Track automation to confine these effects to this single vocal and then when I played back it worked, BUT my other vocals on a Completely different track had all changed their EQ, Delay settings, Im lost as to how this happened! I really wanted to make a go at music and now I feel like just giving up after a few months of this studio, everything goes wrong and I just can't seem to get any help any where.... So if anyone can help Id really really really appreciate it as Im going out of my mind with annoying problems!!!!! Thanks guys Shane Ireland
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Recording vocals on Logic Expr...
    Hi Shane, Welcome to the macProVideo forums :) OK. As for your first question about copying chorus vocal take... Are you copying a whole take folder? Are you copying a comped take folder? Have you tried backing up your original take folder on a separate track and flattening the take folders comp. I know that some bugs have been reported with take folders and unintended position changes in Logic 8. I would recommend creating a comp and flattening the comp. before moving it. Create a track where you can copy the original take folder to. Disable it's output and you can even Hide the track if you wish. As for your second question, would you mind posting that in a separate thread. It's easier to deal with one question per thread... Also can you detail the version of Logic (e.g. 8.0.2) and OSX and any audio interfaces and hardware you have connected to your Mac. How have you written automation to the track (mouse, in realtime using a mouse, or in realtime using a control surface)? Thanks :) Rounik
  • Logic Express
    Im probably doing things backwards and causing my own problems through my own stupidity and lack of knowledge on Logic. But somethings you cannot learn through mistakes so Im in need of guidance on those things. Creating a back up track sounds like a good idea actually, Im using 4 Audio tracks in this case. Chorus, Ad libs, Verses, Harmonies. Again Im not sure what your asking about the real time on track automation. Control surface or Real time? Im only aware of one method!! I select the desired Eq or effect and manipulate one specific part of a vocal or highlighted section. Like wanting to put a re verb on a intro vocal for example..So I then use the automation to get a more specific reverb on that one part not the whole vocal track, just one part... Then I mess around with the low end, high end reverb and draw up the levels with the colured lines. Hope this makes sense to you!! I then put all the automation levels back to their original level after that highlighted vocal take so that its not effecting any other vocal takes on that track, so the other vocals aren't affected. Also you mentioned comp folders and flattening them?? Again Im lost!! Sorry about my lack of knowledge, I really am new to this. Your probably regretting answering me now :):) Really appreciate your response and help on this! Thanks....and IL post separate questions from now on! PS: I use Logic Express 7, A Mac O SX Version 10.5.7 and my interface is an M-Audio Fast Track Pro Thanks again Shane!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Shane, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm more than happy to help you here in any way I can, so ask away :) So, first of all I notice you are using Logic Express 7, which means you're not actually using the 'Takes' feature which was introduced with Logic 8... So please disregard "comp folders" and "flattening". - Have you checked that Shuffle mode is not active... Keep no overlap or overlap on - I can't remember off the top of my head where that is in Logic 7... - Automation. It sounds like you are drawing in the automation nodes yourself with your mouse? Wow. There are other ways! You're gonna learn some kick ass ways to automate plugins and channel strips in Logic! ;-) A: Real time with mouse: 1. Turn on Automation. 2. Open plugin you want to automate 3. In the Track Header or on the Channel strip there is a rectangle for automation it probably displays "OFF". Click here and select either Touch or Latch. (I won't have time to explain how these two modes work right now...) 4. Press Spacebar / Play. 5. Move the knob/fader of the parameter in the plugin you want to automate during the playback. 6. Press Stop. Switch the automation mode to READ and playback to hear your automation. ----- B: Real time with Control Surface 1. In Logic > Key Commands > (hmmm... I can't remember the exact location of this window in Logic & :( - Find the Learn Controller Assignment 2. Move the parameter of the plugin or channel strip (e.g. Hi Pass EQ) 3. Click on the "Learn" or similarly worded button in the Controller Assignments windows and move the knob/fade you want to map this Hi Pass EQ parameter to on your Control Surface. (Might need to move it to it's extremes before Logic recognizes it) 4. Follow steps 4 to 6 above, but this time move the knob/fader on your control surface to automate the parameter in real time. ----- Be careful that you don't GROUP Channels so that automation values are NOT copied to other tracks. ----- On another note, have you checked out the Logic 101: Mastering Logic 7 tutorial? [url]https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/masteringLogic7[/url] The whole tutorial is great, but I'd especially recommend checking out videos 115-124. We've just launched a new monthly subscription service which give you online access to tutorials... or you can choose to purchase a tutorial as a download for keeps and watch it in HD. Let me know if you have any further questions of need any helps :) Rounik
  • Logic Express
    Hey no worries on the delay Im happy with any help and appreciate! Thanks for the link Il check it out and hopefully learn a good bit from it. I think Id be interested in the subscription that might be a wise investment for me with Logic. Yeah Ive been drawing the nodules, I thought this was the only way to make adjustments on Automation!! :) Another problem I noticed with strange timing movements that happen out of no where on tracks I hadn't touched is: When I play back and try fix the vocal takes back to their original place and readjust them, the automation Id also added on them is now also off. Its like the automations nodules are now working on a different section of my vocal take...I know its probably just something simple but for me I can't locate my problem or how Im messing them up. Ive checked out the automation options you suggested regarding touch and latch etc...I found all the parts you mentioned and tried it out but I didn't notice any difference of benefit I still had to draw them all in and the result was just the same really?? Again Im probably not following you correctly cos of my logic ignorance :) Or is that what your calling real time?? and the surface control is the faster easier method?? Im still tryna figure out the surface control !! And the shuffle mode still looking out for that! Thanks again dude appreciate your help
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: