macProVideo.com
Forums
  • roberto
    Random Walk object
    Hallo I work a lot with randomization in Logic environment and it works great. Still I miss a pair of objects that I used to use in MAX/MSP: Drunk and Urn. With Drunk you can create a "Random Walk" that encreases it's range. For example you can decide to go from C1 to C7 with a random order that stays inside an increasing range of notes (like playng inside an octave an slowly increasing to the full keyboard). Urn does another interesting thing: it randomizes a sequence of notes wthout repeating anything before the all sequence has been played. You can do really interesting things in this way. In Logic I use Transform in connection with Arpeggiator and Delay but, as far as I know, it's not possible to do this kind of thinks. You can only set a range inside wich the random process works. Or changing it "by hand" during the process. Would be wonderfull to have this possibilities in Logic and (what you can't do with MSP!) have the score notation of the process. Of course you can Rewire with MSP but it's not so easy and... why not having all this in one software. I'm sure Logic would gain even more prestige among the contemporary music composers. Or is it already possible to do this? In this case I would first apologize myself and then I would jump of joy. Good life to everybody Roberto
  • steveH
    Re: Random Walk object
    Hi Roberto, You can achieve the same types of control by using meta events to change tranformer condition and operation values. These "events" can be produced by fader objects and automated in the arrangement or controlled in the environment. See page 902 in the manual: [i]902 Chapter 39 Working in the Environment Controlling the Condition and Operation Values via Meta Events You can control the values of any transformer conditions or operations by using meta events. Meta events are internal Logic Pro messages their form is similar to MIDI controller events, but they have no MIDI meaning, they never leave Logic Pro, and control internal Logic Pro parameters. Like MIDI controller events, meta events have two data values: The first one indicates the type of meta event (49 to 127, but not all are used), and the second one is the event value (0 to 127). Meta events 122 to 127 affect transformer parameters. Meta event #127 sets the first (top) operation value. Meta event #126 sets the second (bottom) operation value (if available). Meta event #125 sets the first (top) condition value. Meta event #124 sets the second (bottom) condition value (if available). Note: Transformers can also process meta events, as long as they are not the meta events listed above. Note that all numerical condition and operation parameters that are used (conditions not set to All and operations not set to Thru) will be affected by the same meta event. The status condition and operation are not affected by meta events. If you want to set numerical parameters individually, or leave some fixed, use separate transformers in series. Meta event #123 sets the transformer map position. Meta event #122 sets the transformer map value for the current map position. (Use meta event #123 to set the position first). Note: You can use a transformers Map Set operation to create these two meta events simultaneously. When the operation status is set to Map Set, the Data Byte 1 parameter specifies the map position, and the Data Byte 2 parameter specifies the map value at that position (a meta event #122 is sent with the Data Byte 1 value, followed by a meta event #123 with the Data Byte 2 value). You can create meta events with a fader object; you can transform MIDI events into meta events with a transformer, and you can add meta events to a MIDI region from the Event List. When you use a fader, set the Output definition to meta, then set the Data Byte 1 value to the meta event number. You can remote-control any fader by changing its Input definition, allowing you to use faders (as well as other transformers) to convert MIDI events to meta events for remote-control of transformers.[/i] It take a little getting used to but it is very, very powerful! Steve H
  • roberto
    Wow Steve! that's not an answer, it's a full lesson. Thanks a lot. I'll take my time to study this technique that really sounds amazing. At the moment I'm working on stocastic (how is it written?) variations on Bach Goldberg Variations. This what you say might increase enormously my possibilities. I'll work on it and I'll let you know. BTW: this might be a good topic for your next TNT3. Thanks a lot again and good work to you Roberto
  • roberto
    Sorry, for a mistake I reported Steve's answer as unhelpfull. OBVIOUSLY it's not what I mean. Roberto
  • roberto
    Hello Studing Steve's answer to my question about Random Walk I've discovered something else: I can remote control Arpeggiator in Hyper Editor. It seems to work perfectly (except the "Octaves" parameter for wich I can't find the controller). My question is if this is a good method or if there is something better. My aim is to make a plan about the all piece and not to control it "live". And, second point, is it possible to do the same with Transformer object too? If yes, how to find the number of the correspondents controllers in Transformer. In Arpeggiator the association is based on Control Base. In Transformer? BTW I've all the Video Tutorials (masterclass, TNT1 & 2) but I might have forgotten something. If there is something about this in there I would thank anybody can remind me. Thanks a lot for the attention Roberto
  • roberto
    EUREKA!! Done! Everything woorks perfectly. I can now remote control Transformer in Hyper Editor or, if I want, controll it manually by Faders. Wonderfull. Thanks again Steve. Roberto
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: