macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Retro
    working with AIFF
    I originally bought Logic Express and the MacPro tutorial on it because I upgraded to OSX and my old music program, SoundEdit 16, doesn't work on OSX. Thing is, my primary need is to be able to work with existing AIFF files, and edit and mix them. I have a huge library of music in AIFF format. I still haven't figured out how to do this in Logic, despite going thru the tutorial a couple of times. Granted, I've never been able to devote long chunks of time to the tutorial due to the demands of my business. I was wondering if there are ever any workshops in my area (Toronto), or one on one coaching sessions available with some expert in the area. And in response to Rounik who requested more data: I make seamless music CDs using existing songs that I often remixed in SoundEdit 16, perhaps blending in a Ludacris intro and adding a few new percussive bits or a bass line punch, or a reworking of a guitar solo, etc. My thing is CDs that have a bit of everything from rock to metal to reggae to industrial to hip hop to foreign language to jazz, etc, all blended together. So I'm using existing music, and winging it from there. SoundEdit displayed the music in AIFF in left and right channels as sound waves (like those heartbeat medical things), and I could add as many tracks as I wanted. With Logic, mostly I want to import my AIFFs or import songs from my CDs and take it from there, i.e. add more tracks so I can re-edit the song, blend in other music, controlled fades out and in from one song to another, etc. I suppose the tutorial I bought, Logic Pro 8 101, will show me how to then output a CD once I'm done. But it all seems a very laborious learning curve for me, and with my spare time available in irregular chunks, I felt it would be more productive to sit down and show/explain to someone exactly what I do. The last time I went thru the tutorial (a few months ago) I did manage to put together a little song using some of the supplied Apple loops and the Piano Roll Editor. But I really want to take this kind of flexibility and apply it to existing songs. Hope this helps. Thx,
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: working with AIFF
    Hi Retro, Thanks for posting your question in a new Thread :) Well, Logic can do everything you mention and more. There are multiple ways to achieve this so it's also a matter of finding a workflow that suits you... I can't recommend the Logic 101 tutorial highly enough and of course you don't have to watch the entire tut, but I would recommend it. Here is one type of workflow: 1. Import the Aiff files from your CD into Logic's Audio Bin. 2. Drag a file onto a new track or empty area of the Arrange. This will place the file as a region onto an Audio track. 3. Use the scissors tool to cut parts as desired. 4. Use the fade tool to add a fade to an audio region. 5. Audition Apple Loops from the Loop browser. Use the search function to narrow down the search results. 6. Drag desired Apple loops onto new tracks. TIP: Use the Zoom controls to help you find and place regions exactly where you want them. 7. To create your own content/sounds, create a new Software Instrument Track. (Click on the '+' button above the track list in the Arrange area. 8. Click on the I/O box of the newly created track's Channel Strip. (In the Inspector on the left) and choose an instrument from the list. e.g. Use the EXS24 Sampler to choose Sampler Instruments like guitars, pianos, drumkits etc. 9. Press the Capslock key and press keys on your keyboard to trigger to sounds from the Instrument. 10. You can add effects to a track by clicking on the empty Insert slots on the corresponding channel strips. TIP: You can copy regions in the Arrange by holding down ALT and dragging from the middle of the region. TIP: You can loop a region by positioning the mouse cursor over the top right of the region. The mouse cursor turns into a loop symbol. Drag to the right to loop the region. There are a plethora of possibilities, and I'm not 100% clear exactly what you wish to achieve... but instead of building the entire CD in Logic, think about making separate projects for each CD track. 11. When you are happy with your project you will need to bounce the project to a single audio file. Choose File > Bounce... 12. Do the above for all the projects. 13. Open Waveburner (CD Mastering Application that is included with Logic Studio) and import the bounced tracks. 14. In Waveburner you can set the gap between tracks - and get Waveburner to automatically create fades between tracks. Too much to explain here! I hope this helps somewhat. Any DAW you choose, Pro Tools, Logic, Live, Cubase will require some exploration and a bit of down time to learn and assimilate because they all have such massive feature sets. Stick with it and let us know if you need any further help or have any questions :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: