macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Nitygua
    Ultrabeat sidechaining
    I've been going through the ultrabeat tutorial and have been hung up on sidechaining. First, I have oscillator 1 on and side chain selected. Then I selected an audio track (8) I'd recorded a guitar part on in the side chain window in the upper right of ultrabeat. I then turned the track volume down on track8 and turned on the sequencer. When I hit play in Logic the only thing coming through was a sequenced beat. I didn't hear the guitar track coming through Ultrabeat. What am I missing?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Ultrabeat sidechaining
    Hi John, First choose a Voice in Ultrabeat to be the side chain trigger. e.g. Voice 1 (Kick) Select the Kick and in the OSC 1 choose 'Side chain' mode. Make sure the Volume knob for OSC 1 is turned up. Top right of UB set the Side Chain to your Guitar's channel strip. (Remember in Logic you can multiple tracks per channel strip, so double check in the Mixer for the appropriate number if the Channel strip is un-named). There must be some triggers on the Voice selcted e.g. Voice 1 - Kick either in a region, being played from a MIDI keyboard or in Ultrabeat's Sequencer while Logic's Transport is running. Now the routing it done, either turn the Guitar Channel strips fader down or set the Output to No Output... Press Play. Should all work now... HTH Rounik
  • Nitygua
    Thanks, I've got it working now. It's pretty interesting although I'm finding it tricky to balance out the levels between the triggered note and the guitar. I can bring up the guitar and do some pretty cool things with it, but I'm not sure how to bring down or adjust the Ultrabeat voice.
  • Rounik Admin
    Cool! Normally I switch off the other oscillators so that only the sidechain input comes through. If you need to also adjust the Envelope 4 to shape the side chained sound (Attack, decay, sustain and Release of the sound).
  • Nitygua
    That's great! I turned off oscillator 1 and got only the processed guitar. I'm playing around with envelope 4 and also with various parameters in the filter. I know I'll have to go back through the tutorials but, for now I just hit the number 4 in the blue box in the bottom right and I'm clicking on the A and D and Zoom and the mod slider and the various blue bubbles. I'm not sure I've found "release" yet. Anyway, any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, Yes, it's easy to forget that each oscillator is a sound source, so it's important to make sure only the oscillators you want are on. The Ultrabeat Envelopes are not like your typical ADSR envelopes, but they operate in the same way and using the curves can be made to behave in the ADSR way. I'd really recommend checking out more of the videos with Steve H. It's invaluable stuff! But basically think of the blue lines/shape as being on a graph: horizontal axis = time vertical axis = amplitude/volume Now if the shape you create in the Envelope window dips up slowly you are creating a slow attack (fade in). The longer the length of the shape = the longer the sound will sustain for. But this is a very brief overview. The vids will give you better info in less time ;-) Let us know if you have any other questions or observations :) Rounik
  • Nitygua
    Thanks that really helps. I've been working with Logic 8 for about a year and have created all kinds of music with just knowing the essentials, but I realize there is so much that Logic has to offer that I've never even explored. Since I became a beta subscriber I've been working everyday with the tutorials.
  • Rounik Admin
    I agree! It's one deep application. I LOVE it! In fact I'm playing around with Logic 9 now and am so impressed with some of the small tweaks... so much more to learn! Enjoy the online tuts! Have you checked out the ES2 and Sculpture tuts yet? Oh and the Logic Masterclass 201!... ;-)
  • Nitygua
    I've been working through all of those as a matter of fact and I've been creating a piece using only ES1, ES2, Sculpture, Ultrabeat and a few guitar tracks as a way of workshopping through the tutorials.
  • Rounik Admin
    Great idea John! I guess you could then use one (or more) of the Mixing tutorials and then Steve H's Mastering tutorial to completely finish off the project. From start to finish. Of course don't forget the JF Brissette 'Waveburner' course for when you want to create a CD of your track(s). :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: