macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tonojaa
    Logic Studio 9 Questions
    Hello, I've been using the Ableton Live 8 free demo for a couple of days and have the MPV Live 7 tutorial, am considering buying Live 8 to complement my Logic 8, but with the new L9 out now, I have a couple questions... if anyone can answer from experience w/L9 I'd greatly appreciate it. 1) During a live performance, while playing a keyboard live along with programmed bass and drums in Logic 9 for example, does Mainstage 2 allow you to jump to another selection on the fly like in Ableton Live, keeping in sync with the current tempo unless otherwise programmed? (i.e., playing a chorus or vamp as long as you want to, then going to a verse when you're ready)? 2) Does the L9 upgrade from L8 also correct/update any missing sound files (a problem I've been dealing with for some time, even after re-booting & re-installing L8)? Any responses greatly appreciated, esp. since I'm about to lay out $$$ for Live 8, but now L9 might be the way to go. I'm even willing to forego "upgrade hell", uninstall L8 totally and go with the new L9. Any responses or advice? Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic Studio 9 Questions
    wow. This is a tough question to answer... I've been in a similar position recently wanting to get Live 8, but then Logic 9 arrived. However, I'm a Logic Trainer so it was a no brainer to get hold of it first. I'll try and answer your questions from a non-Live user perspective until: 1) AFAIK, no. I've yet to really explore the new features in Mainstage, but it's designed as an app to allow Logic users to play all their favourite plugins and instruments live. It's Not really designed as a live sequencer like Live. You can rewire Mainstage and Live now though - best of both world. 2) Which sound files have you had problems with? I've heard of issues (and experienced some myself) when I installed Logic 8 - but the solutions were not to re-install Logic 8. Let me know which files and I may be able to advise. I recently installed Logic 9 over Logic 8 with zero problems. In fact it was as smooth as you can get! To be honest, if I was facing your dilema I would invest in Live 8 from what I have seen and even rewire it with Logic 8. HTH Rounik
  • Tonojaa
    Hi Rounik, Thanks for responding. Here's my situations: 1) I'm missing the "Hybrid Mor" and "Hybrid Bas" files. What happens is whenever I load certain channel strip settings, particularly Synthesizers>Synth Pads> (several under this category) and Synthesizers> Motion Sequences (several under this category), and these are just some of the categories, I either get the message "Logic Pro: Plug-in 'Hybrid Mor' not available!", or the same message with "... Plug-in 'Hybrid Bas' not available!" and the channel strip shows the name of the patch with a diagonal line through it in the I/O slot. 2) Also, when I'm trying out different drum loops that are supposed to contain the Pop Kit, in the Loop Browser they play fine, but when I drag the loop into the Arrange Window I get a message "EXS24 INSTRUMENT 'Pop Kit.exs': Audio file 'TTHI11X04.aif not found!", then it loads the midi clip onto the Arrange Window correctly, but the strip loads "Crystal Pad", so I end up having to reset the strip and manually find a kit that at least comes close to the Pop Kit to play the loop (I usually substitute the Rock Kit since I can't find the Pop Kit). This leads me to the question: Is there a way to find out exactly what patch is playing in a particular midi loop in the Loop Browser (like a path or something)? Any help or insight greatly appreciated!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Soundwriter, Ahhh... the infamous "Hybrid Mor" and "Bas". I think prety much everyone had issues with that when installing Logic Studio. Well, there are quite a few possible solutions for this. Let's try the easiest and quickest first ;-) 1. Insert the Logic Studio Installer disc and run the installation program. 2. Choose "Custom..." install when presented with the option. 3. De-select everything except Logic Pro. I think the Apple Loops Utility can not be deselected also... should be fine. 4. Click on "upgrade" and it should install pretty quickly. These missing messages should be a thing of the past now. As for your second question... hmmm I've not come across this. Has this always been the case on your system? Have you ever moved the EXS24 sampler instrument or samples folder? You can find the sampler instruments here: HD/Library / Application Support / Logic / Sampler Instruments HTH Rounik
  • Tonojaa
    Rounik, Thanks for the info, I'll probably try it this weekend if i get some time. In answer to your question, yes, some time ago I did try to recover some of my old instrument samples from Logic 7, but I donât remember exactly how i did it. A friend of mine from the âold Logic schoolâ helped me do it. All I know now is that those sounds are present whenever I open EXS24 and click in the instruments window of the EXS. When I do that the main listings are: Sampler Instruments (which lists the sounds I got from Logic 7); Factory; and Garage Band. But no where do I see Pop Kit listed in any of those categories. Yet when I went to HD>Library>Application Support>Logic>Sampler Instruments... which then showed 12 numbered folders, in the 12th one named âLegacy Instrumentsâ>Drum Kits, there I found a few instruments, including the Pop Kit. But none of the instruments in this folder will open up. So... to cut through all this... hereâs my main question: when in the Loop Browser trying out drum loops that do play in the browser (i.e. any of the Funky Pop Drums loops in the Rock/Blues category), is there a way to find out what instrument or patch thats actually playing for that loop? Because when I drag the loop out into the Arrange Window, even though it was playing fine in the Browser, I end up getting the error messages mentioned earlier (âPop Kit...file not foundâ). If it canât find Pop Kit, what was just playing in the browser?????? (thatâs why Iâm wondering if Iâll run into some problems with upgrading to L9). Hope some of this is clear to you cause it isnât to me. And thanks for your patience.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: