macProVideo.com
Forums
  • SixStringsDown
    Changing Time Signatures
    I have a song that changes time signatures like crazy. It was a cinch to make in Sibelius. If I want measure 3 to be in 5/4 and measure 4 to be in 6/8 then you just select those measures and add the time signatures. at a later time I can go back to measure 3 and change it to 4/4 if I wanted no problem and measure 4 stays in 6/8. This changes the overall number of beats, but that's what I want. But in Logic, I can't create those time signatures and change them at a later time. If I go back to measure 3 and change it to 4/4 it changes every single measure in the song after it. What sort of grid is Logic working on that makes this happen? How can I get Logic to behave like Sibelius in this manner? It really sucks writing out all the time signature changes and then not being able to change a part in the middle at a later time. I have all the Logic Tutorials. So if this is covered in a video, could you tell me which one? Thanks!
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Changing Time Signatures
    Hi Tieg, I'm not at my logic machine right now but in a nutshell, you can do it so have no fear :) The easiest way of doing is using global tracks or the signature page in the list views. From memory, you can access the global tracos through the local view menu on the arrange page and select global tracks and/ or configure global tracks and make sure signature is active. Here, you can draw in and opt for as many different time signatures as you like. I think you do that by using the command key and clicking wherever you want the changes to take place. If you want to get super accurate with your edits, you can use the list view (next to the media icon which you select to import loops etc) and choose the signature list from there to make sure the changes really do happen when they are supposed to. You can also create the changes all from this area if you so wish. I think Steve H covered it in his TNT series as well incidentally. Cheers, j
  • SixStringsDown
    Hi YADJ! The problem isn't creating them. It's changing an earlier one without having the later ones change. What I want to do is change bar 19 which is in 5/4 to 6/4 and have nothing else move. [img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/tiegart/before.jpg[/img] I'd like bar 20 to stay in 5/4. But logic won't let me add a time signature there because there is one on bar 19 already. So I move bar 19 to 6/4 and [img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/tiegart/after1.jpg[/img] No matter what I try, something down the line ends up moving. I can't get it back. My 4/4 bar is gone, My Chorus comes in all funky etc.
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Tieg, how are you entering new time signatures? I must admit, the numbers do move around quite a bit when you start changing how many beats there are in a bar, but that is to do with where you are entering time signature breaks with respect to the song position and what knock on effect that will have to any pre-recorded material for each of the alternative time signatures to appear correct in the timeline. Incidentally, though, I was able to put other time signatures in and around bar 19 and 20 with all of the other same time signatures you put in your project using Global tracks. How are you entering time signatures? Cheers, j
  • SixStringsDown
    I input them by clicking the create signature button in the signature list. That's also where I change a particular signatures numerator. I also know about using the pencil tool in the Global tracks. I was able to do a weird workaround which was to select all the signatures in the list and cut them out of the project. then do the change I want to do and paste them back in. This doesn't always work though.
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Tieg, I noticed that creating signatures using the list view actually deleted them from my project!? Kind of not was I was expecting, BUT, I was able to add them how I wanted using the pencil tool in the global tracks. I think I still had to press the command key as well though. That method let me put what signature I wanted where I wanted pain free. Changing the signature will still impact other signatures and timing information including notes further down the line though because in one sense, you are changing the resolution of how logic is interpreting what you are composing.
  • SixStringsDown
    woah weird! Well it seems to be buggy for sure. I can do it the same way 3 different times and get 3 different outcomes as far as what time signatures decide to disappear, change values, or some new surprise. It was a real drag earlier when I wanted to replace a whole section of my song. I had to save a copy of the file and drag bits and pieces from one arrangement, and arrange it how I wanted in the other arrangement. Maybe one day they'll make a way for logic to have the option to work in measures like other score editors instead of ticks or whatever its doing. Thanks for working with me on this =)
  • Cajypiu
    No worries :) How come you are changing the time signatures so much anyway??
  • SixStringsDown
    It's just how the song goes. It doesn't sound forced at all. I'd forgotten there were so many changes until it came time to input them in Logic. If you want, you can check out my band www.myspace.com/canon and you'll see the style of music it is. There's no songs up there with this many time signature changes, but I think you'll hear how it would be pulled off more or less.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: