macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Westinnn
    HiHat Ring Out
    Hi there. I was just wondering if anyone could help me with HiHat delay. I decided to call it that, because to be truthful I don't know what else it would be called haha. Basically, in my midi track region I have a quantized HiHat being struck over and over again. What I'd like to know is, say you hit a HiHat once in real life and it rings out. When you hit it twice you don't hear the first ring out, but just the second one, right? Well, in this case, you can hear every HiHat ring out when it's being struck again, right after. Is there any way to fix that? If you can't figure that one out, this could also help me out: When the HiHat gets struck constantly, in my song I have a part where there's just complete silence for all the instruments in the song. When the HiHat gets played repeatdly, you can hear it ring out while all the other instruments stop, is there any way to make a single note in the Piano Roll Editor in a sense have a short delay time so you don't hear the complete ring out? Thanks for your time, if you can think of anything it'd be great!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: HiHat Ring Out
    Hi Westinn, Well, I would first try shortening the length of the note in the Piano Roll. Does that work for you? I think you mean 'decay' or 'release' instead of 'delay'. What Instrument are you using to create the HH sound? EXS24? Cheers Rounik
  • Westinnn
    Thanks for the reply, Rounik. Yeah! Decay! Haha. That's the word I was going for, and unfortunately no, I tried that. I'm using a custom Ultrabeat I made, but the HiHat is called 'ue-hh a# rock 2' from the EXS24 Drum Kit called 'Headbanger Kit'. Like you said, I'm trying to find out how to kill the decay.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Westinnn, So, in Ultrabeat you can adjust the decay of the sound (some will call this the release just to confuse you further ;) ...by adjusting Envelope 4 for the selected Voice (Open HH). However, you'll notice that every Open HH triggered will be shortened too, which is not what you want. So, better, is to turn on the Gate (above the Envelope section). It's designed to gate the Closed and Open HH's which in theory can never sound at the same time in a real performance. If this doesn't produce the desired effect, another way is to load the same sample on a different voice in UB, adjust it's Decay time and use this voice for the 'shorter' sounding HH. I'm pretty sure this is all covered in the Ultrabeat Unleashed Tutorial, so if you have that do check out the relevant section too. HTH Rounik
  • Westinnn
    Hey thanks! I figured it out. The only problem I have that I can't figure out, is: First I'll hit the HH and it completely releases. When I put the gate on, on envelope 4, it gives me the manual control when to release, right? Is there any automatic way so that when a new key is struck, it'll cancel out the release of the previous note? Sorry that this sounds so confusing. It's just my song has a HUGE pause part, and I can hear the previous HH ringing out through it, even when the HH gets closed. What also would help if that's too confusing, is if there's just a simple way to insert silence for ALL instruments in one specified region. I tried 'Insert Silence'. But that didn't help at all. It just cut it up throughout. Thanks again for the replies :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Westinnn Sure, HH's usually cancel themselves out when using closed and Open HH. that's because they can't sound at the same time. So, using the technique above with gate turned on for closed HH and an open HH then one sound can not "overlap" the other. HTH Rounik
  • Westinnn
    Hey. The only problem is that it's all open HH. There is no closed.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Westinnn I think the best thing to do would be to load the Open HH sample on to two different voices in UB. Now set the following gate options for both: Trigger = single Group = 1 You see the idea behind the gates is that when triggering a Closed HH the Open HH will stop/ be gated... in your situation you are using the same open HH which may sound very unnatural if one gates the other. I would recommend playing with the decay and trying to find something suitable... But in the end when a HH is hit as in the sample you want to emulate - each time it is hit won't completely shorten the previous hit. The previous hit will still sound a little. In which case try playing with the velocity of the notes more. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: