macProVideo.com
Forums
  • DOOD
    Beat map
    im a new logic user. just want to know the about beat map. why beat map and what the whole piont of it. because i bought Logic 201, but was really confused about it. (does it deals with apple loops too? and why the tempo changes?)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Beat map
    Hi DooD, Beat Mapping is a more advanced topic than using Apple Loops. But I think the tutorial does a really good job of explaining it... but here is my version of Beat Mapping in a nutshell: - You record some audio or MIDI (let's say a synth melody) WITHOUT using the Metronome (click) so it's not at a standard tempo but changes throughout the project... i.e. when you recorded the part sometimes you slower and sometimes faster. As a result your recorded part is not in line/in time with Logic's grid. Try adding a drum loop to the project now and you'll find that the synth melody and drums act like they don't match (in terms of timing). Voila... Beat Mapping allows you to tell Logic "Hey, this note here should be on on the first beat... that notes here is the downbeat..." etc etc. So using Beat Mapping you adjust Logic's grid and the Timeline's beats and bars to match the recorded synth melody. The tempo will adjust between the beat markers as a result. Because you are NOT adjusting the timing of the performance, but of Logic's grid. Back to our Apple Loop (the drum loop), as it has tempo info in it, dropping it in to the Timeline means it will now 'play along' in time with the tempo changes and according to the Beat Markers. Does that help? Rounik
  • Jehubyi
    Hi Dood, Welcome to the forums. They're awesome, especially Rounik! Yeah, basically Rounik explained BEAT MAPPING in a nutshell there. I basically use Beat Mapping when I record my drums in a studio. No drummer is ever 100% on the click/metronome! It's impossible! That is called a drum machine! hahahahaha:) Anyway, when you beat map the kick and snare drum, for example, you're basically moving Logic's time grid to match your "actual" playing so that you still keep the original feel of the drums that you recorded. Now anytime you want to add any kind of loops to your new beat mapped kick and snare parts, those loops will automatically line up, IN TIME, with your drums, and after that, any other parts (bass, keys, etc.) can be added in time to your beat mapped drums. If you don't beat map your kick and snare, for example, and then you want to add loops to your drums, you will notice that they aren't quite in time with each other, soooooooooooo, ya gotta beat map the drums:) Steve H mentioned in his 201 tutorial that he actually likes doing the physical labor of lining up the beat maps, and I have to say, I do too:) Does that make sense? riftmazefee (Jodie)
  • DOOD
    thanks a lot!!!! makes more sense now. i still a lot to ask but don't want to ask too MUCH!!!! well, thanks for answering.
  • Rounik Admin
    Glad Jodie & my explanations have helped! Ask away as much as you want :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: