macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rularey
    Midi Controller Automation?
    Is there a video on NED explaining how to hook up a midi controller (in my case an ordinary footpedal) to Logic Pro? I want to create a wah-pedal in logic but I can't seem to get it to work?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Midi Controller Automation?
    Hi Roy, Welcome to the forums :) AFAIK there isn't currently a tutorial dealing specifically with connecting a footpedal to Logic. There is a section in the Mainstage 105 http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/mainstage105 but if you want help in getting set up in Logic just let me know: - What model/make is the MIDI Controller / footswitch ? - Have you used the Controller Assignments window in Logic before? - Are you using Logic 8 or 9? - Are you trying to assign it to the Wah Pedal in the Pedal Board plugin? Thanks Rounik
  • Rularey
    Thanks for your reply Rounik- Yeah I might try using Mainstage just to see if I can get things working. I'm using Logic Pro 8 (but upgrading to 9 in a month or so). 1. Actually I'm trying unsuccessfully to get a number of midi controllers working, specifically the Korg Nano series controllers, but this footpedal is a simple Roland EV5. 2. Yes I have, always to no avail. I can get the footpedal recognised in the Controller Assignments window, and it does detect the footpedal. It even assigns it to the last parameter I was working with (i.e. Control: 'Learned' Parameter: 'AutoWah Depth') but when I go back to the Arrange window the pedal has no effect on the plugin. Pressing record and then playing doesn't change anything either. I've uploaded a picture of the Controller Assignments in case I missed something: Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Roy, Seem to be missing the picture... Unfortunately, I haven't got a MIDI Foot pedal to try this out on... or the Korg nano Series :( So, it works fine in the Controller Assignments window? Do make sure you turn off 'Learn' button before trying it out in the Arrange area. This can sometimes make a difference. Would love to see the screenshot if possible. Cheers Rounik
  • Rularey
    http://img76.imageshack.us/i/picture1wlp.png/ Hopefully that works! Yes I tried turning the learn mode off when I was finished. It detected the pedal just fine. It measures values just like any other MIDI controller so it shouldn't be a problem with the hardware
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Roy, Thanks for posting the picture. All looks in order at a glance... When you use the Roland pedal do you see any values changing in Logic's Transport Bar? What numbers do you see? Do you have the correct track selected in the Arrange area? The one with the plugin parameter you wish to control? Thanks Rounik
  • Rularey
    Interestingly only sometimes, when I'll push the pedal down I'll see it read 127 (which I think must be the standard max?) but it doesn't show a steady climb from 0 - 127. Interesting. I tried using my Korg NanoKontrol (basically just standard sliders and knobs) and I got it to activate the fuzz wah depth exactly how it should do with no problems so at least I know something's not going correctly with the pedal! I do have the correct track selected in the arrange window yes thanks.
  • Rularey
    Ok I figured it out; apparently the UX2 footswitch jack doesn't support an expression pedal; rather it supports simple footswitches instead -_- Which is really annoying but luckily not a software problem! And hey, I even learned how to teach Logic midi commands so all's not lost. :) Many thanks for all your help!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Roy, Great you figured it out and learned lots about Assigning MIDI to Logic... Bummer that the footswitch doesn't act in the way you'd hope it would. So basically the EV5 only sends out a MIDI value of 127 or 0 through the UX2 to Logic? It doesn't support a range between the extremes? Shame there is no MIDI or USB connection directly from the footswitch. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: