macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tenogyi
    recording and editing without click
    Does Logic 9 lend itself, with flex editing, to recording and editing without click? I am thinking in terms of performances that have rubato - and not beat mapping the performance for editing. Also, what is the best way to set up an arrange page when not using click? Thanks! SG
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: recording and editing without ...
    Hi SG, I tend to use the click when recording so I may not be the best person to answer this question. Logic 9's flex time can lend itself to doing what you want... but Beatmapping is a good option so you have a grid within Logic to work with IMHO. Why would you prefer not to Beat Map? :) Rounik
  • Tenogyi
    Hi Rounik, Though it's not brain surgery, I am not facile with beat mapping (I've only seen a tutorial). However, the more important thing for me is that after beat mapping the initial performance, every subsequent take must follow the initial - beat mapped - performance. This obviates the ability to introduce rubato in passages in subsequent takes. I am not talking about wild differences in each take. But there are instances where, the performer(s) will decide to take time or a luftpause, or whatever, that he/she or they did not initially do. In nuce, it seems to me that performing to a beat-mapped click really inhibits rubato in subsequent takes. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your input. Here's a post script - I have performed on several classical music projects and we never used a click. Never. The DAW was pro tools in all the projects. The engineer recorded and edited in pro tools. Thanks again! SG
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi SG, I've not had a chance to test your scenario in Logic 9... but I'd still use Beat Mapping to get Logic's grid to sync to the performance. Before you record set a rough project tempo (you could use tap tempo)... then record without the metronome and either beat map or use flex time to correct any passages that need their timing corrected. If all instruments are being recorded simultaneously then it should be quite easy. Best thing is to try it out by doing a trial recording without a metronome. Hope that helps, Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: